Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MWatterst
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 143744

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 0
Total: 53

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL logo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL logo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveInSeoul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John. I am much more interested in your work experience and "what have you done lately" than your ITIL logo.

However, having said that, I AM interested if you have ITIL foundational knowledge, especially because we are trying very hard to implement ITIL in our organization. An ITIL foundation certificate indicates that you can recognize ITIL "two out of three" times, but not a lot more than that Smile

I'm more interested if you have working knowledge on ITSM best practices in your area of expertise, than if you can spell ITIL. Having said that, with over 100 K people or so with the ITIL v3 foundations cert, it can be a discriminator.

Mentioning it on the CV is good, but putting the logo on your CV? As John said, it's a good way to get your resume tossed.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to be a bonehead to reject a CV/Resume (and potentially the best candidate) for putting a logo for one of their professional qualifications in amongst the text. When it comes to a question of style over substance I would always look for the substance.

And btw, well done on throwing a wet blanked over the OPs recent qualification achievement Rolling Eyes

I think I'll add the logo to my CV......I may even throw in 'V3' Wink
DaveInSeoul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A logo does NOT qualify someone as the best candidate - I'm not even sure why you implied it.

And certainly you don't think I'm bashing the person who goes out of there way to demonstrate their knowledge by getting a ITIL cert?

I'm saying that, for me, logos on a CV are a big turn-off. I want the best combo of experience and knowledge for a particular candidate. Functionality over form. I would be as put off by a MS logo or Cisco logo on a CV as a ITIL logo.

But, hey, I'm just a bonehead hiring manager.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveInSeoul wrote:
A logo does NOT qualify someone as the best candidate - I'm not even sure why you implied it.

And certainly you don't think I'm bashing the person who goes out of there way to demonstrate their knowledge by getting a ITIL cert?

I'm saying that, for me, logos on a CV are a big turn-off. I want the best combo of experience and knowledge for a particular candidate. Functionality over form. I would be as put off by a MS logo or Cisco logo on a CV as a ITIL logo.

But, hey, I'm just a bonehead hiring manager.

I didn't imply it, you made an incorrect assumption. I just find it a little idiotic that someone would turn a candidate away just because they have a logo on their CV.

Me, when I hire people I dig a little deeper than how their CV is presented, but hey, good luck with that.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have used logos in a resume, and they worked.

2-page resume was structured in a traditional way, but what I did was list out a whole bunch of projects I ran, my role in the project and benefits gathered.

eg a table with various headings:
Vertical industry: Banking & Finance
Customer size: 12000 users
Service provided: ICT efficiency & sourcing strategy
My role: Principal Consultant
Benefits yielded: ##% reduction in IT Operating budget within 3 years

so you can imagine a table with 20-30 of these types of projects in a matrix.

Via the nature of my work, some specific customers didn't want to be associated with a specific problem or benefit, or I couldn't be bothered calling them ALL to confirm that they were OK to vouch for me (in fact some were still active customers and didn't know I was looking around).

So I had a small table underneath with:
"Brands engaged in above consulting assignments", then about 20 logos, many of them recognisable.

No, I am not going to put an ITIL logo beside my certifications or a Monash Uni one beside my degree, but in terms of making an impact to show a point of broad experience, it actually worked OK.

An alternative was to lengthen my resumt by a couple of pages, which I am loathed to do.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All

I think I started a storm here.

All: Look at it from a HR perspective. You get 20 CV / resumes via email.

You print the 20 out on the printer in Black and white

Those CVs where some one uses colors - yes there are still people who do this and graphics including logos graphic bullet points

The stack of 20 CVs / Resume looks like this

intro letter, CV ( 2 - 3 pages)

You do a quick scan and those that did not supply intro letter with CV, you put in pile # 2. Pile number 1 has 12 Cvs with cover letters. Pile #2 has 8

Then you the HR person look over the CVs for professional look and feel. You have done this for years.

Standard fonts, good layout -- employment, education, skills section
minimal use of graphics
whittles the list down to 7

One CV had very little experience and for the education section - as they have the ITIL foundation certificate put the logo for ITIL and the Certfication logo on the page. You look at it and realize that there is NO work experience and only the ITIL certification

As these are usually at least 1 1/2 " by 3/4" logos if you are compiling with the standards, you

The reaon I would reject those with logos is that for the most part once you have experience, the logo and its meaning is superceded by the experience

I have the ITIL Service Manager's certificate, MCSE (Window 2000 and lower), ISO 20k, CoBIT etc. That is listed in the education and knowledge section at the back of the CV / resume

At the front of the CV, I have my work experience as this is the reason I am being hired or applying for a job.

NOTE: There is a fine line of difference between a CV for some one new to the field or job area and some one with 5 - 10 years experience,

If some one with little experience puts logos etc on the CV to 'beef' it up as there is very little experience beyond education skills, then I put that one off to the side

If some one does the CV like TomOzITIL - where the logos are secondary to the experience, I would NOT throw it away

The last point I make is that some hiring managers take the CVs and render them to text files to reduce the CV to its raw state.

Using logos, tables and fancy things just go away

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
All

I think I started a storm here.

All: Look at it from a HR perspective. You get 20 CV / resumes via email.

You print the 20 out on the printer in Black and white

Those CVs where some one uses colors - yes there are still people who do this and graphics including logos graphic bullet points

The stack of 20 CVs / Resume looks like this

intro letter, CV ( 2 - 3 pages)

You do a quick scan and those that did not supply intro letter with CV, you put in pile # 2. Pile number 1 has 12 Cvs with cover letters. Pile #2 has 8

Then you the HR person look over the CVs for professional look and feel. You have done this for years.

Standard fonts, good layout -- employment, education, skills section
minimal use of graphics
whittles the list down to 7

One CV had very little experience and for the education section - as they have the ITIL foundation certificate put the logo for ITIL and the Certfication logo on the page. You look at it and realize that there is NO work experience and only the ITIL certification

As these are usually at least 1 1/2 " by 3/4" logos if you are compiling with the standards, you

The reaon I would reject those with logos is that for the most part once you have experience, the logo and its meaning is superceded by the experience

I have the ITIL Service Manager's certificate, MCSE (Window 2000 and lower), ISO 20k, CoBIT etc. That is listed in the education and knowledge section at the back of the CV / resume

At the front of the CV, I have my work experience as this is the reason I am being hired or applying for a job.

NOTE: There is a fine line of difference between a CV for some one new to the field or job area and some one with 5 - 10 years experience,

If some one with little experience puts logos etc on the CV to 'beef' it up as there is very little experience beyond education skills, then I put that one off to the side

If some one does the CV like TomOzITIL - where the logos are secondary to the experience, I would NOT throw it away

The last point I make is that some hiring managers take the CVs and render them to text files to reduce the CV to its raw state.

Using logos, tables and fancy things just go away

Nice climbdown Wink
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea

I did have to re-look at my blanket statement

After some of the other posts

I still personally dont like CVs with logos on it

Especially when there is no real meat to the CV

Padding it with Logo to make it look fat just iritates me

BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Yea

I did have to re-look at my blanket statement

After some of the other posts

I still personally dont like CVs with logos on it

Especially when there is no real meat to the CV

Padding it with Logo to make it look fat just iritates me

I agree.......nobody likes a flash git
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash git?

guilty as charged... Embarassed
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

I seriously doubt the only thing on your CV are logos and course work

I think you have BTDTaGTTS

SanITIL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleared my ITIL v3 Foundation exams today,

Is it possible to download the certificate soft copy from ITIL site, if yes could someone pls help me with the link url for that.

Thanks!!
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which examination institute did you use? EXIN, APMG, ISEB, CSME etc. If you used Prometric, it will probably be EXIN, but it takes a while for them to receive the information from Prometric
You need to request the softcopy from the EI
SanITIL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LizGallacher

Thanks a lot!
Client was EXIN, so do I have to make a special request for softcopy of the certificate?
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they have received the information from ProMetric, Exin should be able to give you a soft copy without a problem. If you google Exin, and go to their main site, you should be able to find a contact number. Any problems, message me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: