Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: D9256
New Today: 64
New Yesterday: 105
Overall: 143998

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 5
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Why Service Catalog Management is in Service Design?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Service Catalog Management is in Service Design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anandknair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Why Service Catalog Management is in Service Design? Reply with quote

Hi, i've been wondering, why Service Catalog Management process is in Service Design Phase and not in Service Strategy?

Service Portfolio Management is in Service Strategy, and i would presume Service Catalog and Service Portfolio is very closely tied and should be in the same phase of the lifecycle.

any thoughts?
anandknair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i discussed this with a friend and this is what he had to say --

In Service Strategy, one defines the market, decides what service to provide, assign resources to build this service. This forms the initial documentation of a service in the service portfolio. And this is Service Portfolio Management.

And it is in Service Design, the service takes some shape, the Service Requirements are understood, Operational requirements are defined, etc.
So all these details are then updated in the Service Catalog in the Service Design phase

Now we argued, once, more details are known about a service (say for example in the Service Transition r Operations phase), the Service catalog should be updated, so why can't this update (to service catalog) happen in the Startegy Phase or in pther phases, we think, becasue Strategy deals with strategy and not tactical activities, and to ensure the Catalog is not updated without thorough analysis by the Catalog Manager, it is best to keep the review and update of Service Catalog in the Service Design phase

For example, a Service SIP introduces some changes to the Service and its offerings, then CSI phase naturally feeds data into Service Design (to make changes to Service), and in process Service catalog is updated in Svc Design

Kinda fuzzy i know...but kinda makes sense too.
what do you think?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read my (free) Introductory Overview of ITIL V correctly, things will become much clearer when you stop thinking in terms of phases.

Service portfolio management, service catalogue management, along with other processes identified in the Service Strategy and Service Design volumes, are ongoing activities throughout the life of service provision. there inclusion in the particular volumes merely indicates that that is the strategic layer at which they have to be conceived and driven from.

I could be wrong in all this, and I am beginning to realize that I have seen several other threads, here and elsewhere, that suggest a cruder interpretation. Nevertheless it seems to me that the best way to understand these books is, as was intended at least with the original ITIL, to regard them as descriptive of what needs to be done and to be classifying the description rather than as a template of how to do it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: