Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FHeffner
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 95
Overall: 141444

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 3
Total: 78 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Job interviews
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job interviews

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Job interviews Reply with quote

I'm wondering what people think of the practice of asking a job applicant to give a presentation as part of the interview process.

For example, round 2 of the selection process for a Service Management role may involve the applicants being given a day or two to review one of the prospective employer's process documents and then giving a short presentation on how it could be improved.

I'd be interested to know what others think of this.
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
mnsmith
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like the idea of giving a presentation as part of an interview because it gives the candidate a chance to show they understand the subject and role more than simply answering questions. This is especially the case if you use a real life scenario, either from the employee or employers background.

However, I wouldn't recommend asking candiated to present on something generic, such as how would you implement change management. A number of years ago, when I was young and naive in the ways of change, I was asked to give such a presentation in a job interview and I managed to pass with flying colours by using our old friend google.

Mick
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've done quite a few presentations recently (slides available at £100 per slide - half-price for the "good morning" and "thank you" ones Rolling Eyes Smile ). It is hard to pitch the more generic ones meaningfully. When there is not a very specific question it is hard to resist the temptation to try to show what you know (because it is not clear what they are looking for) and end up packing too much in too superficially.

My most recent one was "what processes and governance are essential for effective service delivery?" I could probably write a book on that, but how to deliver ten minutes while demonstrating more than a superficial skim of chapter headings and not leaving any gaping holes was a lot harder and I don't think I succeeded particularly well.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to prepare a presentation on how I would improve a prospective employer's processes. Kinda like a free quote, I guess. I gave them the how as well as the what, but it seems all they wanted was more of the what Crying or Very sad
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I think it depends on the position. Usually in the interviews I get for an IT Service Management Position, I would be asked to write a project with a presentation on one of the processes or functions. I think employers are very careful when choosing those positions as they need to ensure that they are hiring the right person that has the right capabilities and skills, and presentation is one of those.

Rumors say that you should do a certain amount of push ups while writing a Service Desk strategy for some interviews, to test your multitasking skills. Others will test your presentation skills after drinking a certain amount of beers. I have a feeling UK would qualify for that.
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can do lots of push ups but I don't drink at all which probably means I should consider myself fortunate to have been in the IT industry for as long as I have (since the beginning, as my kids say) Rolling Eyes
PMI CAPM (R)

Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with either the push ups or the presentation, or some other form of assignment as part of the interview process. In my unfortunate days working as a software developer (I am using a PC term here) I was asked to either debug printer code or write some on the spot. I mean, what is your potential employee point of reference for your skills - your resume? I have seen some really creative ones, so it's not something I really trust.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Timo.
I can imagine how much of a crock some CVs must be, and I'm sure we have all met people who have grossly misrepresented their ability and background. Some of us may have even been victims of said liars Twisted Evil
So, asking someone to show how they can walk the walk is quite reasonable.
PMI CAPM (R)

greypantherstillwalking

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think giving a presentation is a great idea to get a sense for the applicant's abilities. Of course it depends on thespecific job but especially in a consultant's position you need to be a good thinker as well as a good presenter. So for all those applicants who would lead a team or sell products or services to other clients, a presentation should be obligatory! Just my opinion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: