Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: D9256
New Today: 64
New Yesterday: 105
Overall: 143998

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 5
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who is the Change Owner / Requestor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the Change Owner / Requestor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moby

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Who is the Change Owner / Requestor Reply with quote

Hello,

I have two Questions i would like to ask. I;m fairly new to Change management and was wondering if you guys could help me out on this.

1) Who is the change owner? is it 3rd level Technical Support who will carry out the change or The Business system owner / project manager.

2) When Raising the Change who should be the Requester? the business? business system owner / Project manager or 3rd level Technical Support?

I hope my questions make since. Apologies if it's confusing
ClaireAgutter

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moby

The actual answers to your question will vary from organisation to organisation.

The change owner is typically the change management process - or whoever's job it is to manage the change through its full lifecycle. The technical resource who carries out the change has work assigned to them, but it's not their job to manage change approval or review in most cases.

As for requesting a change, this is usually done by a nominated IT person on behalf of a business sponsor.

Hope that helps

Claire
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change requestor is the person (or organizational unit) that requires the change and asks for it. This is the person (or organizational unit) that has responsibility for the activity/function/area in which the change is desired to have an impact and will always be a customer (or customer agent) when the change is intended to correspond to a business change or business improvement and will always be a service manager or technician when the change is for an aspect of service delivery or operation.

There is a tendency for the formal process to be considered to be initiated by the completion of a change request form and for this form to be fairly technical and unsuitable for (or incomprehensible to) customers, and then for the author of this document to be considered the requestor irrespective of the origin of the request. I suggest that this is what Claire is saying.

If a change request emanates from the customer, then, however much the customer is represented by someone in IT services through the passage of the change, it is the customer that has to have the final say as to how well the request has been dealt with and implemented.

If you have sufficient resources to even have "third level technical support" then it is unlikely that it would make sense for such people to own a change, but it is perfectly possible for them to request a change.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: