Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ACarstens
New Today: 54
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139867

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 3
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - IT-ServiceDesk-Manager
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IT-ServiceDesk-Manager

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmck

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: IT-ServiceDesk-Manager Reply with quote

Just applied for a service desk manager for our IT department and will be going to an interview within the next few weeks or so . We already have our software following the ITIL pratice, and i am right now doing my ITIL foundation certificate. I would like to know what are the step to implement the new service desk in place. Just so i could prepare myself for the interview..

Sincerely
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: IT-ServiceDesk-Manager Reply with quote

kmck wrote:
Just applied for a service desk manager for our IT department and will be going to an interview within the next few weeks or so . We already have our software following the ITIL pratice, and i am right now doing my ITIL foundation certificate. I would like to know what are the step to implement the new service desk in place. Just so i could prepare myself for the interview..

Sincerely

I hope you have your tin hat on
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have software that follows guidance on good management practices? - we will all be redundant!
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
kmck

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i ment is that what are the step to do like hiring employee, policies, how many shift will there be in a day(since it will be a 24/7), how many staff will we need to have per shift, thing like that...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you applying for a job in your own organization that you do not know how to do?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
kmck

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yes i am applying in my own organization the reason why i am asking this is because now it is not centralize, it is a service desk that is spread within the state/province.. but now it will be centralize in one location for all the facilities that we have. Here's the actaul scenario..
Recent
1. 7 Different location working different ways but with the same ITIL Application for the service desk.
2. Staff within all these location to respond the call receive within the service desk..
3. Each location works on their own and support their own users....

New
1. Centralize in 1 location(will support all user for all 7 different location)
2. Staff will be all at 1 location
3. Shift 24/7

Now i have an idea of what needs to be done, but i wanted to check out in forum for expertise and manager that had experience to guide me or give me point so i could be prepare since i know there will be question like this at the interview...Espacially for example what will you do and how or what are the step that you will take to start implementing the service desk..
For example..

1. Location
2. Amount of desk or cubicule needed for the staff
3. Space needed
4. Type of communication( phone line) that will be use
5. Shift( How many shift per day will be implemented)
6. How many staff per shift
7. etc...

THose are some idea that i know has to be done but i would like to know what other important steps just to make sure that i dont forget something really important...

I hope that this is more clear...
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmck wrote:
hi yes i am applying in my own organization the reason why i am asking this is because now it is not centralize, it is a service desk that is spread within the state/province.. but now it will be centralize in one location for all the facilities that we have. Here's the actaul scenario..
Recent
1. 7 Different location working different ways but with the same ITIL Application for the service desk.
2. Staff within all these location to respond the call receive within the service desk..
3. Each location works on their own and support their own users....

New
1. Centralize in 1 location(will support all user for all 7 different location)
2. Staff will be all at 1 location
3. Shift 24/7

Now i have an idea of what needs to be done, but i wanted to check out in forum for expertise and manager that had experience to guide me or give me point so i could be prepare since i know there will be question like this at the interview...Espacially for example what will you do and how or what are the step that you will take to start implementing the service desk..
For example..

1. Location
2. Amount of desk or cubicule needed for the staff
3. Space needed
4. Type of communication( phone line) that will be use
5. Shift( How many shift per day will be implemented)
6. How many staff per shift
7. etc...

THose are some idea that i know has to be done but i would like to know what other important steps just to make sure that i dont forget something really important...

I hope that this is more clear...

You are not qualified
kmck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply, well that's why i am trying to get the info, if i am not qualified, what would i need to get qualified... i just started the ITIL Foundation online certification, i understand that with a certification like that if i am not mistaken, that it will provide me details on how to implement the service desk, but i taught that coming here i would be able to find guidelines to help me get prepared...

It's the first time i post on forum like this, the only reason why i did this is to find information since i have taught that i would find it here..

If this is not the right place, i would appreciate if someone can guide me to a different area or site..

Sincerely
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the principle thing you lack is appropriate experience in IT service management. Book knowledge can do little to help there.

On the other hand, one hears all the time of people being given jobs they lack the experience for and then being expected to learn on the job. You may well succeed that way. For your interview, you will do better by having tried to work out all the answers for yourself, than to cite some bullet points, that lack context for you provided by people, who may or may not know what they are talking about (you have no way of knowing whether I, for example, know anything about this subject whatever answers I give you).
William Penn 1644-1718
svs79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Qualified.....as if he created ITIL...

i guess you should go with the certification first and make sure you understand the concepts and read as many as case studies.
No one learns without working on it...so doesn't matter what people think of you...Attitute and determination is the key.

Stick to your organizational objectives and try and relate the guidelines from the ITIL....you should be able to doa fair justice to your role.
Always seek guidance from your seniors.....

taking that single step is important than assuming that i cannot do anything...

svs
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svs79,

ITIL was not the issue in this question.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: