Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CAnivitti
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 86
Overall: 139907

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Quality Assurance and ITIL(ITSM)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality Assurance and ITIL(ITSM)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Quality Assurance and ITIL(ITSM) Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I am new to this forum and ITIL in general. My background is Software Quality Assurance and my new job is to establish Quality Assurance processes within one of the Ontario's provincial Government's ministries. Now, the guy who works next to me is trying to implement ITSM, all modules, from Change Mngmnt etc. Now, analyzing ITSM i noticed that Software Development part is missing, ITSM takes care only of Services but not about development processes. Looking further into the ministries standards, I noticed they use Rational Unified Process as software development methodology.
As I mentioned before, my mission is to establish quality assurance processes within a ministry. What would be my starting point here? I looked into ITIL library and didn't find anything pertaining to Quality Assurance - there's a one book from older library series, back from 1991, called "Quality Management for IT Services" ISBN 0013305559. Would this be a good starting point? Does this book explains how to manage quality assurance for IT services? It also says for this book that it supplements Quality Management Library series, ISBN 0013305699, also from 1991. What are the current ITIL libraries that replaced these two?

Thanks a lot,

Mike
jpomales
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Quality Management Reply with quote

I may be mistaken, but ITIL per se does not address quality management. You'll have to look elsewhere for that. ITIL does talk about quality when performing the 'Plan-Do-Check-Act' cycle for processes. But a Quality Management process you won't find in ITIL.

You may couple ITIL with other processes, such as ISO:9000 or develop your own.
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older version one book on QA is still in effect. For much of QA, the trend is to use ISO 9000 series as your guide. As for Software Development, there is in fact an ITIL book on this. There is more to ITIL then Service Support and Delivery.
Majki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're wrong jpomales, take a look at this link: ogc.gov.uk/sdtoolkit/deliveryteam/briefings/businesschange/quality_mgmt.html#whatis
ITIL does talk about Quality Management

I just hoped that the book i mentioned above elaborates more on processes and procedures of Quality Management, more on 'how to' than just 'what'. And in fact, RobRoy47 mentioned ISO9000, i just learned that this first book i mentioned "QM for IT services" uses ISO9000, so I guess not too many things has changed since 1991....
Anyways, I ordered these two books and I'll see how much of help they'll be.
Thanks for you help guys anyways...
Mike
jpomales
Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction. Always glad to learn something new.
tiansiew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take a look at ISO20000 on ITSM which was released recently. This International Standard incorporated the PDCA principle and ITIL best practices. The standard has 2 parts: the requirements and code of practice. You can purchase it online at the ISO website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: