Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PhillipCos
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149870

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 3
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementing ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementing ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Implementing ITIL Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

For school i have to implement ITIL in a organisation.
Now my ITIL knowledge is not that good but im reading a book and internet information i can find. But i dont get somethings about ITIL maybe you can help me out here.

I need to implement ITIL in a organisation.
They want the Service Delivery Set to be implemented.
So they wanted these documents/processes have to be made/documented

* Service Level Requirements
* Service Level Agreements
* Service Quality Plan
* Underpinning Contract
* Service Specsheet

Well im now at, let's say START, and here the problem starts Smile how do i start with implementing ITIL in this organisation? What are the steps to implement ITIL and what are the steps to follow?

My second question is if i need to make the 5 POINTS stated above with *, are there templates for it? Are these 5 POINTS (with *) documents that have to be made?

Please help me out.
Thanks for the help in advantage.

Greets
fishkake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you much help, but perhaps I can get you a little further that you are. As a word of warning, people often get annoyed with this sort of student posting - people always think that you're trying to get others to do your work for you!

The five points you have been given are each documents, containing information whihc will support ITIL conformance.

Service Level Requirements - outline of what the organisation needs in terms of service levels. This will contain information about the different systems in use, such as which ones are critical and which are less important. Include uptime requirements (i.e. e-commerce website must have 99% anual uptime).

Service Level Agreements - these are the result of the above. There are templates out there which show you how to build them.

Service Quality Plan - I know the term, but off the top of my head I can't tell you anything, sorry!

Underpinning contract - these are the contracts which you rely on in order to deliver the required service levels. For example, if you have a support agreement with Dell for your servers, there are some problems which will be impossible to solve without Dell's assistance. Therefore you are relying on that support agreement (the underpinning contract) in order to deliver the service levels specified in your SLAa.

Service specsheet - again, I can't comment a great deal on this. Maybe somebody else can?

Good luck with it all, and don't give up on Google

Chris

[Edited. Reason for edit: removal of links and commercial comment]
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishkake thanks for your information.
I can understand the people not to answer my question a little bit.
But I need and want to do the implementing on my own so they don't need to be affraid to answer some questions.
Anyways I did yesterday and today a lot of research about ITIL in books and internet. Much more is now clear for me and which documents are needed to be created and what they should contain. Some little things are not quite clear so i was hoping to get some information here.

You explained nicely that the 5 points are documents and what they are thank you for that. Now i only have the question what is the best document to start with I self was thinking about to start with the SLR, is this a good choice, and then work to a SLA?

My last question is if you or someone else got some good links? and if someone got some templates or links to templates for these documents that would be a nice start for me.

Thanks in advantage and best regards
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution - implementing ITIL isn't about creating documents. It's about creating a customer focused culture within your support teams to ensure that not only is excellent and consistent service delivered to your users but that the right services are being delivered. It isn't something you can implement 'on your own' - you will need the support of all those you work with to make it work.

Do a search on this forum or my past posts, a few of us have already posted links to templates and introductions to ITIL just this past week so it isn't even a case of digging in the archives Wink

Take a time out and think about what you are trying to achieve before diving in or you might get a nasty shock.

I hope I haven't come across as too negative - as someone who is very enthusiastic myself I have a tendency to run before I can walk. It sounds like we may have that in common! Smile
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK itilimp thanks for your tips and advice and yes i think we got that in common run before we can walk Smile. But I believe things will go good now I have some info from you guys and I will work together with all those I work with as you suggested, not to forget the "Were am I and Where do I want to be" question. So now I got a more clear look on ITIL and how to implement it succesfull with tips and hints.

I want to know what the opinion is of (you and) the people on this forum if they think ITIL can be implemented in a small bussiness organisation (4 workers)? And if ITIL works for a small bussiness organisation (4 workers). What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks again and best regards
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you do... ITIL is designed to be scalable so you can pick what works for you and leave out the rest.

I think one of the red badge holders with more experience is best placed to answer this one.

My personal feeling is that you may want to implement a cut-down version following some basic procedures as in a team so small you don't want to go overboard for your requirements and find you spend more time trying to adhere to the processes and less doing the actual work Wink
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itilimp i was thinking the same as you of implementing a cut-down version of ITIL but I wanst sure if it was possible. My thougts where not to implement everything or all the procedures on this ICT department as you say it will then take more time to adhere to the processes then work with it.

But im curious what other people think about it Question
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*is curious too and looks around*
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlitocaban,

it does rather look like you are only being asked to implement Service Level Management. This is the most 'document based' process (along with financial management for IT), and only a small subset of the framework. There is a Service Management lifecycle and you should try and ensure you understand that each document you describe has a place in the cycle - it will help you understand the purpose of each and therefore clarify judgements about their contents and overall format.

Itilimp and others,

there is already a reasonably efffective 'ITIL lite' developed under the auspice of the OGC for the UK K-12 government school sector. Its called FITS. It is public domain has number of templates and is very well structured and presented. Any google search on ITIL and FITS should get you there.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rjp, Yes I'm familiar with FITS and have pointed others in that direction myself. I actually used some of the procedures there to help improve our incident management process about 8 months ago, great stuff and no point reinventing the wheel Smile
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjp thanks for the FITS info it is very well documentend and nice implementation steps are provided. I think i can come very far with this FITS. With FITS you avoid well known problems also there are templates provided that come in handy. It is written for Schools, but man can use it for every bussiness offcourse. Maybe anyone got a link to templates etc. for a ICT service provider/desk bussiness?

I am starting on Service level management now with Service Catalogue and SLA

PS you can find FITS on google with : FITS ITIL K-12

PS2 Do i need to make more SLA's for every type of costumer? So not just 1 SLA is enough?
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only require customer based SLAs if you intend to provide significantly different levels of Service (or different service features) to different customers.

Smaller variations can be defined within a single SLA - common practice is to define something like platinum / gold / silver service levels. Though it is more appropriate to do this where services are charged and you can match the customer's cost to the returned service level. It used to be gold / silver / bronze - but I guess that is a bit like condom sizes - huge, big, and not-too-bad Smile
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK rjp so i think i can make 1 SLA becuase we almost deliver the same service to all our customers (oud services dont variate that much and where they variate i can define them as Gold/Silver/Bronze). Very good idea/pointing to the gold/silver/bronze categories i can use this for my SLA. But first i finish the Service Catalogue.
Thanks rjp

An example of variations in the SLA would be like:
Gold = response time 10 minutes
Silver = response time 25 minutes.

This what you mean RJP or did u mean:

Gold would be like sending mail and reveiving mail
Silver only sending mail

Thanks in advantage
Regards,
CC
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first example is more the one I had in mind:

The whole gold / silver / bronze idea is most commonly used exactly as you envisaged it - varitations in incident response times.

Where you are specifying variations in features or deliverables (the send and recieve verse send only) I think the general practice is to define different SLAs. (Becasue you are effectively defining different Services).

Remember also that SLAs do not (ideally) define services by themselves. You can define your services independently of SLA - as sets or packages of features and capabilies. SLAs can be used to tailor a la carte packages of Service features to specific customer requirements.

There, are however, no hard and fast rules governing the point at which it becomes impractical to differentiate service levels within an SLA. You need to define the 'line' in a way that best suits your process capabilities.

To keep the whole process of defining and deploying effective SLAs on track, regardless of the way you structure their contents, try and ensure that:

a) The outcomes you are agreeing to are defined in such a way that both IT and the business can effectively judge whether those outcomes were actually achieved, and

b) both parties to the SLA actually have the same understanding of what those outcomes are, and what constitutes successful delivery of them.

Obejctive measurement and agreement are far more critical to the success of SLAs than the finer details of their structure.
carlitocabana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

i am starting now on the Service Level Requirements document.
I just finished the catalog i started with the catalog cause i think whis was in our situation the most important we offer all kind of services so it was important to know our services.

nowi concentrate on the service level requirements but i dont know really sure what has to be in this document
Does it contain what hardware, uptime, maintenence is need for a specific service?

please help me out thanks in advantage
CC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: