Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TBromham
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 60
Overall: 139585

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 1
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Red Badge qualified, but not much experience...what do I do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Badge qualified, but not much experience...what do I do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mel75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Red Badge qualified, but not much experience...what do I do? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the UK and recently passed my Manager's Certificate, the trouble is, I don't really consider myself to have that much experience.

I've spent the last 5 years in an IT role (mostly programming), but I've not really done that much in the way of the whole ITIL process, although we do bits of it where we work, and I understand the whole process well.

All the job ads I see want experience, and I'm wondering whether I'm being too hard on myself, by thinking that I don't have what these people want. Does anyone have any thoughts? Or any thoughts about how I can increase my levels of experience; I'm happy to move job and/or location (opportunities where I currently work are pretty thin on the ground).

Sorry for the long post, but this has been bothering me for a while!

Thanks,

Mel
iancharlesworth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mel,

Don't know if this will help .... but have you considered going into service management via project management ? I did it that way many years ago and found that that built the real world experince of implementing change and transition programmes which is what alot of people are looking for.

Another though would be to go in via training into consultancy ..

Regards, Ian
mel75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I have also passed the PRINCE2 Practioners exam, so that would probably be a good option for me. I have been looking around for Project Management jobs also.

Consultancy sounds interesting though...

Mel
Jillu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: same situation! Reply with quote

I am also in a similar situation. Even though I have got experience managing a few service support processes, I haven't got much ITIL consultancy experience. It's a catch22 situation. how do i get the experience unless i do the job?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you thought of possibly selling ITIL solutions to prospective clients?

We have products and services we'd like to sell. We're attempting to ramp up and be ready to sell by mid-year. My belief is that the people qualified to understand ITIL will be most qualified to sell it.

If anyone is interested in such a discussion, please let me know.

Regards,
mel75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

thanks for your thoughts, I would be interested in discussing this, but I assume that the position would be US based? I'm in the UK, and have no visa or right to work in the USA, do you know what the situation is?

Regards,

Mel
mel75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Frank's post (which, btw Frank, I am still interested in), does anyone else know of any opportunities where I could develop my experience and/or use my knowledge?

As I said previously, I have the Manager's Certificate, and also PRINCE2 Practitioners Certificate in Problem Management.

I am really enjoying the whole concept of ITIL, and the processes I'm involved in at the moment (sad, I know! Wink ), but I feel they're just not stretching me enough.

I'm happy to relocate anywhere in the world, and I'm not looking for a huge salary, just a position where I can bring my knowledge of ITIL and possibly Project Mgt to help implement and/or run ITIL processes in a forward thinking organisation.

Does such a position exist??!

Mel
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel,

Our position is such that we'd be trying to establish partnerships, world-wide, with the right candidates, as we would like to also sell outside of the US. However, I don't know what your timeframes and experience are. We are open to discussions to having people or organizations act as our sales consultants in other countries, in the form of Value Added Resellers.

Regards,
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Disservice Reply with quote

Your course provider did you a disservice. The Manager’s Course is supposed to be only for people who have IT management experience. Quite frankly, you should never have gotten your red-badge.

That said, I would suggest a consulting company that has a robust ITSM practice. You can apply your academic ITIL knowledge in the real world under the guidance of mature ITIL people.
mel75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobRoy,

Maybe I didn't explain clearly - I have IT Management experience, and we use ITIL processes within our organisation (although not always completely following ITIL). I've just never been responsible for implementing or developing any ITIL processes, which it seems that most job adverts require.

As for whether I should have passed my Manager's exam - well for various reasons I only managed less than 1 day's revision, and passed first time, so maybe I know ITIL more than I (and you) give myself credit for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: