Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CHerbert
New Today: 69
New Yesterday: 81
Overall: 143488

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 1
Total: 53 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL career path
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL career path

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metoo87

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: ITIL career path Reply with quote

I work as an Oracle DBA in a major metropolitan area in the US. My job is going away. My company contacted me about moving into an environment architect position and and mentions moving into enterprise architecture. They also mention my specific skill set as someone for the chnage. There is alot of ITIL in the job req. I have not talked to anyone about this. I don't know anything about this career path. I did a few google searches on ITIL and skimmed the outline on wikipedia.

I have quite a bit of experience doing DB architecture and working on architecture teams in the past (not at this company). Though I don't really know what an environment/enterprise architect is. It sounds like its higher level. People who work more with making sure the different pieces work together.

ITIL looks like a general process framework in the same frame of CMMI. Is that relatively accurate?

What is this type of career path like? I have worked in my field for a long time and I am very senior. Oracle work is generally one of the highest paying specialization in IT. Do you know what compensation ranges are like? I have a hunch this would be a pay cut.

It looks like alot of this work is engagement related. So you spent a few months in one place then move onto the next. This implies extensive travel. Is this accurate?

What are the career paths in this type of profession? I know I am being vague, but I don't know anything. What is the compensation range?

How important is the ITIL certificaiton? In my profession, virtually no one cares about certification. It looks incredibly expensive. I saw one site that said $20,000-60,000 to go all the way through and $5000 for the basic one. Is that accurate? Do employers typically pay for this?

have not talked to anyone yet., Just thought I would ask some questions.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metoo87

An Oracle DBA is a more technical role than one in IT Service Management

ITIL as you have found is merely a framework - at best... It is merely a set of advice (better practices) on how to do IT Service Management.

ITIL consists of 26 processes. of which the most obvious and most common are Incident, Problem, Change, Release, Configuration Management

The Service desk is a function that manages the IM process. In addition, there are several processes - Request fulfillment, monitoring etc that are also there

If you are a Oracle DBA doing support for an Oracle based application, you are part of the IT SM process - most likely as a Incident resolution team member as you most likley get tickets to action / resolve / restore service

Now for the courses / certification path

Getting certified in ITIL can be done. All exams are linked to courses (classroom - virtual or physical) except for the Foundation. You only have to take the exam for that. It gives a broad overview of ITIL - hence the title

Check Amazon for a ITIL Foundaiton study guide by Liz Gallacher.

Now.. the big question... should you get all of the certification to expert ... Why ? Are you getting out of techincal and going for admin / mgmt / process ?
Is there more money in ITIL higher level... maybe.. if the person has the certification and the experience... probably.. otherwise nah

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: