Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LUYW
New Today: 56
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139746

People Online:
Visitors: 73
Members: 1
Total: 74 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Warm transfers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm transfers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdoone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Warm transfers Reply with quote

In our organization, the service desk assigns incidents out to a team of analysts who attempt second level resolution. We work remotely to our 40,000+ users, and if we're unable to resolve remotely, we reassign the incidents to a local deskside support team (if available). When such reassignment is made, our current practice is to effect a "warm transfer," i.e., phone or instant message the local deskside staffperson and have them take ownership of the incident. Some local staff have balked that they feel they are being "micromanaged" and that the incident should just be reassigned to their queue, which they monitor and work. While it is true that they are usually minding the store, my feeling is that the warm transfer is one bit of insurance that an incident won't fall through the cracks and disappear/be ignored. I'm interested in opinions that will help me reinforce the need for the warm transfer. Apparently, it isn't enough for these people that this is a proactive measure to ensure customer satisfaction. Thanks!
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Perception Reply with quote

Perception is the problem here. If you have 20 deskside techs, and 19 monitor their mail, and quickly work on the incident, fire #20 as they are not doing their job. I would recommend dropping the warm transfers, and monitoring resolution times. If there is a problem, bring it back, but if you treat professionals like professionals, by in large you get professional results.
sdoone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point and one part of me says yes, you're right. But the cautious side wants to have something proactive in place. Thank you for your response.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally go for the compromise but as already said, constantly monitor those resolution times.

Find out what each individual techie preferes - some will like and rely on that 'warm transfer' to deal with urgent things that they may miss whilst working on projects. Others will feel like you are interfering and don't trust them, so leave them alone to get on with it. If they don't then get on with it, that's when you need to get their line management involved because at the end of the day - they support the job you are trying to do which is give the end users an excellent service. As RobRoy47 said, it may well end in firing #20 - but you can be clever about how you get there or even better - get them to change their own working practice over time.

Good luck!
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favourite maxims is: "people are strange" Smile The perception of the warm transfer as "micromanaging", might stem from what psychologists term the Need vs Want of Control.

I've worked with people who view the phone ringing as an interruption of their carefully managed work plans = loss of control. It's all in how you look at it, says I.

How about a soft approach - a reassurance to the 'fear-of-loss-of-control' groups that the instant message is in no way is a criticism of their work habits (or whatever language you can come up with to 'make nice') but merely an extension of an objective process that is followed the same for everybody to provide the best service possible to your customers. After all, the local offices might have other work in progress that they are being pressured to complete....

Just some random thoughts from a wandering mind....
/Sharon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: