Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:30 am Post subject: First Call Resolution for a Change Order?
Usually people speaks of First Call Resolution (FCR) for Incidents as the percentage of calls resolved while on the first call with the User. However, don't you think a FCR could be acomplished also in a Change Order?
For example in my HelpDesk the SPOC can make remote pre-aproved software installations, in such cases we open a Change Order and proceed to install the software immediately. In those cases can we say this is a FCR?
Joined: Nov 01, 2004 Posts: 81 Location: Sask, Canada
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:27 am Post subject:
Why call it anything - are you are trying to track something? If you need a name, maybe make up a fun one - like 'Drooble'-change or, if it's done by your SPOC (too tired to think what that is...), call it a 'Kirk-change'...
In my Problem Mgmt world, a Known Error is not resolved until the change goes in & is holding ....
Joined: Feb 01, 2006 Posts: 15 Location: Leeds, UK
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 pm Post subject:
That would be brilliant, I'd love to see a report entitled "Drooble Changes Summary."
I think the point here is that ITIL is non prescriptive - there are no rules, only guidelines, and you have to tailor it to how your organisatin works. As you will see from my other posts, my overall understanding of ITIL is not exactly top notch, but I have an opinion at least...
When the calls come in which require Change, can they not be logged as incidents too? That way your Incident FCR report would include those which involved a Change Order. If you are interested in reporting something specific to these calls, you could tie the Change Order to the Incident when building your reports - this depends on the database you're using.
Looking back over this post, it seems I haven't been any help at all, sorry. Well let me tell eisbergsk - SPOC is Single Point Of Call! There, now I've said something useful.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Information Technology Infrastructure Library Conformance Procedure Implementer.
(The longer your title, the higher your importance ) _________________ 95% of computer problems are easy to solve, but most of the problems are in the other 5%
I dont know if I understand you totally. But here is what I have to say.
The SPOC (Service Desk as per ITIL) handles something called as Service requests rather than Change requests (CRs) or RFC (Request for Change). (Well, may be Standard Changes could be handled by Service desk). You mentioned in your post "When the calls come in which require Change, can they not be logged as incidents too? ".
Actually most "Service management tools" allow a Call type such as "Incident", "Question", "Service request" etc which has to be assigned to the ticket that is opened. If it is because of an Incident resolution that a Change request has to be raised, a new change ticket has to be opened and linked to the Incident ticket. Since the link between the Incident and Change exists, Reporting could be done easily to indicate how many change requests were tagged to a first call resolution.
In all possibilities, if it is a first call resolution, the solution (or the change request as you call) should be populated in the Knowledge or solutions database which is then readily used to quick close the Incident ticket. First call resolution is a terminology that applies to Incidents and not to Change requests. Because a Change request (as you have mentioned - remote pre-aproved software installations) handled by Service Desk/Helpdesk is a standard change for which procedure of how to do it is already available with the servicedesk/helpdesk.
Hope this helps. Would be interested in your thoughts on this.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum