Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ACaraway
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148305

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 1
Total: 76 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Difference between Risk & Impact assessment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between Risk & Impact assessment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prathap_buna
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Difference between Risk & Impact assessment Reply with quote

Hi,

Could you please explain me what is Risk Assessment & what is Impact Assessment. As fas as i know both are same. But my new organisation having two document one is for Risk Assessment and one is for Impact Asssessment.

2. Could you please explain how to calculate Risk level. Like Risk level-1, 2, 3 & 4.

Regards,
Prathap
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impact is about things that will happen (like the use of resources or downtime) risk is about things that might happen (like something going wrong or taking longer than predicted).

The simplest way to look at level of risk is to multiply the likelihood by the effect if it happens. What numbers you then assign to a particular level are a function of your company's aversion to risk, but probably anything fairly likely to happen which has severe consequences is probably level 1 and to be avoided.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
prathap_buna
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please brief more about Risk Level one by one.

Risk Level 1 --------
Risk Level 2--------
Risk Level3--------
Risk Level 4--------
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prathap_Buna,

I am extremely puzzled by the types of questions you are asking in regards to Change Management

You have asked what is Risk & Assessment and how to classify
You have asked whether Dev and Test shuld be under change mgmt
You have asked several questions about the basic concpets of ChHange Management

What is even more troubling is that you have indicated that you are in a role of being the Change Manager for a customer / client

First, the obvious question - why ar eyou the CM if you have no knowledge, training or experience doing CM
Second, if this is a consulting role for a client, does your organization not think it is not good to have a CM who is not skilled enough to fulfill the role
Third - this site and other sites are not a substitute for training. While this site acan asnwer specific questions, it is usually about differences of opinion not trying to get free education by asking questions

Finally, when I started in CM, I did not have any experience either. However, what I had was experience in IT Operations seeing the impact of poor or no CM process in place. In addition, I had the ITIL Foundation course.
I also had - what I feel is an important quality for a change manager .

I am a power mad, anal retentive, pedantic dictatorial type control freak.

With this attitude, I realized that I am the one who has to write the policy, process etc and make sure it is well written and very clear.

I admit I used the information in the ITIL books as a guide and where I extrapolated the information to help me write the policy document

You need to have that level of confidence in doing the role of CM for your customer / client.

Also, when you write your first policy document, it will have errors in it because you need to get input and comments from those it impacts.

Remember, all documents are reviewed and changed to reflect the current situation

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: