Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ZOpitz
New Today: 49
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146078

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 2
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SCRUM and ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCRUM and ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: SCRUM and ITIL Reply with quote

I am in desperate need of some guidance.
We currently use ITIL V3.0 for our Change Process. The tool we use is “supposed” to be built on ITIL principles but I do have some doubts. The company is young and I suspect, not as versed in ITIL as claimed.

Our PMO Team is struggling to help bridge some gaps in their areas. They are vetting out using the SCRUM process. It just so happens that the tool set we use does support SCRUM. My question is how does SCRUM fit into the ITIL Process?
SharonSmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: SCRUM and ITIL Reply with quote

I am not a expert in this but i can ask my instructor from a training provider itilstudy where i took training form. he may have a answer to this
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrum is an iterative and incremental agile software development framework for managing software projects and product or application development. Scrum focuses on project management institutions where it is difficult to plan ahead. Mechanisms of empirical process control, where feedback loops that constitute the core management technique are used as opposed to traditional command-and-control management.[citation needed] Its approach to planning and managing projects is by bringing decision-making authority to the level of operation properties and certainties.

The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) is a set of practices for IT service management (ITSM) that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of business. In its current form (known as ITIL 2011 edition), ITIL is published in a series of five core publications, each of which covers an ITSM lifecycle stage. ITIL underpins ISO/IEC 20000 (previously BS15000), the International Service Management Standard for IT service management, although differences between the two frameworks do exist.

ITIL describes processes, procedures, tasks and checklists that are not organization-specific, used by an organization for establishing integration with the organization's strategy, delivering value and maintaining a minimum level of competency. It allows the organization to establish a baseline from which it can plan, implement, and measure. It is used to demonstrate compliance and to measure improvement.

SCRUM is for s/w development and project mgmt
ITIL is IT Service Management which empasses SCRUM, AGILE, PRINCE2 etc

IT Service Management should use ITIL better practices to get the overall processes in place.. If your org does s/w development then SCRUM or AGILE would feed into RM and CM

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella,

I read your question, and I would like to make sure about your exact need:

- Your PMO is considering adopting SCRUM for agile project management
- Your IT department is applying ITIL V3
- You are using a software tool that's both ITIL compliant and supporting SCRUM

The problem statement is how for the ITIL V3 Release and Change Management processes (which are used by your IT department) to interface or talk to the SCRUM method (which is used by your PMO)?

I saw a paper online( NO LINKS PLEASE ) on a similar topic, but related to PMBOK method not SCRUM. You may review it for a hint on how to map SCRUM to the ITIL processes you are concerned with.

I hope this helps,

--
Pauline

Admin: Post edited. No links please.
Bella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: SCRUM and ITIL Reply with quote

UKVIKING: Thank you for a very good explanation and highlighting how we can connect both .

Recently have take up SCRUM certification and now I can establish the fact that SCRUM is a part of agile methodology and used for project management.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella

As I am now playing Release Management, I have to deal with the programmers (think 1000s of monkeys typign@keyboards)

I as the RM do not care how the solution - release or fix - is developed - SCRUM or AGILE. That is an internal Programming decision

Once the soluton is made, I care that it is tested and deployed to non production in accordance with my RM process / policies. that it is documents as such and once successfully tested follows the CM process to be done in production

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Caleb

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it is that much Agile to be fit in a particular situation like you have asked,What i feel is something that works for the moment Scrum is designed in the way in which it can actually give that kind of outcome which is pretty good and at the same have all those elements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: