Joined: Feb 01, 2006 Posts: 15 Location: Leeds, UK
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:45 pm Post subject: Building a system
How does ITIL come into putting a system together? We are currently building a huge workflow system (40 x £15k servers!!) with loads of hardware, loads of software and loads of configuration.
I have only seen the ITIL book on Service Support, I am not familiar with the rest of it. How does ITIL contribute to building a system? My fellow support staff are trying to fix endless little issues with the system, but are these Incidents? It is a little abstract, seeing as obviously a workaround is pretty useless when trying to build a system, and therefore there should only be Problem Management, not Incident Management. Does ths sound vaguely correct?
Anything you can tell me to get me started would be great, this site has been quite helpful to me thus far. I'm hoping not to implement this myself, but some preliminary notes would at least allow me to choose the right person to assign to it... _________________ 95% of computer problems are easy to solve, but most of the problems are in the other 5%
Joined: Mar 12, 2005 Posts: 255 Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 pm Post subject:
Implementing new services / systems is covered (in different ways) in
Application Management (esp if you are developing)
and to some extent Project Managment - which is outside ITIL - but PRINCE2 is also an OGC product and quite compatible with ITIL
Service Level Management is the entry point (where the business requirements will initiate the project), and Release Management (In Service Support) will provide an oversight process for deployment into production that coordinates with change and configuration management.
All these should procede under compatible governance / policy standards and frameworks - of which several are in existence.
* Serrioulsy, ITIL is very big, and when the related material is included to round out the ICT management space it's even bigger. I've been implementing, learning and training for about 3 years now, and I still consider myself to be on probation
Interesting question ... my cut on this is that its ITIL is all about the enviroment in which a system is supported so implementing ITIL with a system is a bit odd. This is possibly why you are finding it abstract.
Agree with rjp ... get the delivery right by using a project management framework such as Prince 2. Make sure you know what you've delivered and hence what moves into ongoing support.
Make sure all training is complete and you have identified the on-going roles and responsibilities. Understand what your end users and customers are consuming and what elements of your system and infrastrucure work together to deliver. ...This is your first step to Service Management !
ITIL processes withing your support department aid this. Look at Release Mgmt, Availability, Capacity , Service Level, Incident, Problem and Change Management.
Don't try and change too much at once ! ... focus on getting the project delivered first .. the 'hearts and minds' change involved in all areas of support can be an 18 - 24 month transformation and should not be undertaken without Snr. Mgmt Support and time.
Joined: Feb 18, 2006 Posts: 27 Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:09 pm Post subject:
I have just done the Applications Management course and that would definately include stuff you need all the way from requirements and designing the system to building it and testing it to the Service Management functions of deploying it maintaining it and optimising it. The book is available from places at around £65.
Joined: Feb 01, 2006 Posts: 15 Location: Leeds, UK
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:42 pm Post subject:
Well I think the general concensus is that I need to investigate the other areas of ITIL... I'll try to convince my manager to get that book, although to be honest by now its unlikely we will have time to implement this before the product is rolled out!
A piece of advice for you all - don't start implementing ITIL in the last mile of the biggest project the company has ever undertaken! Its surprisingly difficult!
Its a strange situation, because management commitment is great, the whole company is very committed to this, but realization of exactly what is involved is way out. Everybody seems to think there is a list in the front of the book entitled "How to become ITIL conformant", and we simply have to follow a load of steps - IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!! ARRGH!! _________________ 95% of computer problems are easy to solve, but most of the problems are in the other 5%
In my last company new systems started with a User Request Specification (URS), this then spawned the Software and Hardware Desgin Specifications.
Once these had been agreed we then produced the Configuration Baseline documents when building the system. We then moved into testsing with Test Specification documents and Test records & Deviation reports if applicable.
The final tests were carried out when the system went live, if it passed all these then it was under change control from both Quality and IT Depts.
We grouped all these under the ITIL banner.
As we were all new to ITIL I never really knew if we were on the right track or had gone overboard on the documentation, but we had to contend with 21 CFR Part 11
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum