Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TBungaree
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 75
Overall: 143339

People Online:
Visitors: 73
Members: 1
Total: 74 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Management Workload / Resourcing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Management Workload / Resourcing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Change Management Workload / Resourcing Reply with quote

I am interested in other people's experiences of the number of Change Management staff required to manage x amount of infrastructure and applications Changes.

Assuming that infrastructure and apps changes do not include the service request variety (i.e. password resets etc) does anyone know of a benchmark which would represent a reasonable number of staff for a particular volume of changes per week / month / annum, based on a change management function which undertakes the full end to end management of changes?

Also, in other people's organisations,
1) how many change management staff do you have,
2) how many changes do they process per week / month / year,
3) does this include service requests or not?
4) and is the Change Management function responsible for end to end management of the changes, or do you have a more self-service approach to changes?

thanks in advance.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Change Management Workload / Resourcing Reply with quote

Xianne

In my organisation we have two bodies who deal with Change Management - 1 full time practitioner and one team leader, me (Dual qualified in Change & Config)

We do approx 100 changes per month including some Standard Changes.

This does not include Service Requests.

We follow the Itil process, albeit in a paper form so it is end to end.

I hope this helps

Ed
xianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ed, much appreciated. Can anyone else give me their volumes and resource counts?
Ryder1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Change Management Support Reply with quote

We have two Change Management groups. One group supported by 3 individuals - manages just the ticket (IE: review of upcoming changes and reporting). This process is still undergoing review and is expected to grow as more areas begin using Change Management.

Our side handles the full lifecycle of a change. We currently handle Release, Configuration and Change - basically cradle-to-grave of application changes, OS, etc.

We have three in this group, of which two are former Systems Administrators. The purpose of having an IT Technical person involved in Release, Configuration and Change Management is to ensure that impact is identified, reviewed and properly communicated. Our sole purpose is to minimize risk to our customers. The third person on this team is also responsible for development and management of our internal website. This is a trigger based web interface for managing the entire lifecycle of a change. It is a constantly growing and evolving tool.

This group manages approximately 35-50 changes per week, about 150 changes per month to application, infrastructure and configuration. This does not include recurring scheduled reboots (which adds an additional 20 or so changes a month). Service requests are not managed as a function of either change management group - they are a funtion of our Incident/Problem process - and where appropriate our Request for Service process.

We are currently in the process of implement ITIL Guidelines - first step is completion of our Requirements Review.
stortss1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The last company I was with processed approximately 2,000 changes per month (large insurance company). We broke our Change Management staff down into three sections, one (Global group) that covered all infrastructure changes and any business application changes that spanned multiple business lines or involved Data Center access, and one each for the two major lines of business that managed their own IT applications.

We had three change managers, eight change coordinators, and three schedulers. We all used the same Change Management tool and could route changes back and forth between the various groups. Again, the Global group had final authority for determining whether changes fall under their jurisdiction or not. Without that kind of control, the application groups tended to push through changes they shouldn't.

Hope this is of some help.

Scott
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer here surely depends on many variables, a couple of which would be;

how manual or automated your system is
what role the Change team play in the review process (ie how in-depth is theur knowledge and review)

From my perspective, I head up Change Management for a mobile telephony organisation, and my team of 6 processed 22500 Changes Requests last year (Apr 2005 - Mar 2006).

Currently we have a highly manual tool (sadly!), and they do a level of verification that is more about the request meeting our minimum requirements for content, rather than any technical validation.

I think that in order to do a really good job and expand our value add, we are about 3 people short and the tool needs to do a lot more of the job for us, but I'm not getting much support at the moment...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: