Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ARamaciot
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 141
Overall: 131704

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Occurrences and Cases (Incidents)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Occurrences and Cases (Incidents)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffWhitmo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Occurrences and Cases (Incidents) Reply with quote

We use a CRM product right now and are trying to start implementing ITIL practices, Although we are not even close, my boss think he knows everything there is to know about the subject and here is todays scenario.. Please tell me he is way out in left field, granted I'm new to the practice too.

We upgraded a application to a new version, the old and new clients are on the computers, its time to remove the old client. there are probably 25 computers that need to be touched.

My thought process is... My boss should open an case (incident) for the request, assign it to my team, we will open a single change request and note all the computers we need to uninstall the old client from, then do the work.

Here is what my boss says... Open 25 cases, make one case a parent and all the others children, then work on each one until they are all done.

Please tell me I have the better understanding.
scottatah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see any of this as an "incident" so to speak. There's nothing that I would consider break/fix. I believe this all should have been completed as part of the Change that helped deploy this new software.

Depending on the ITSM software you use, the exact work being done on a change can sometimes be tough to track so I can understand why you may want to do something like what you're suggesting, but I think it will skew metrics.

If you absolutely have to go with opening a "case" or 25 cases plus the parent. The Change would technically be the parent or what you'd want to relate everything to (which you may or may not be able to do). Given that you probably shouldn't be using incidents for this in the first place, I'd recommend one incident with the list of 25 computers and referencing the Change in that incident.

If these were true incidents, I'd be on board with what your boss said.

Thats my $0.02.
MadhavaVermaDantuluri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: What your boss said Reply with quote

I echo with your boss even though the numbers would smash the metrics. Because you have to track each any every system and update the status, so individual incident would be required even it is pain.

I followed a similar exercise when we needed to reset the VPN config for multiple customers.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All

I can see where the boss is coming. Don't necessary agree.

Here is the point

How is work assigned to individuals tracked and managed for systems that are in the tIT SM tool.

If the tool is used for incidents as well as tasking staff, then he has a point

Now, it depends on the tool. Some tools allow you to make multiple tasks within a ticket

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: