Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ENLV
New Today: 26
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146006

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 2
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Categories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Categories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swal87
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Change Categories Reply with quote

I realise this is a difficult question to answer and differs from business to business, however Im giving it an airing for feedback anyway.

We are looking to drive change approvals based on the V3 change types and categories.

So for a Normal Change i am looking at;

Major 20d lead time- Multiple business departments affected, introduction of a new service, decommissioning current live service.

Significant 10d lead time - Downtime required, Service degradation required, No back out available only forward fix.

Minor 5 d lead time - Build of a new single server (non-standard), Configuration Change no negative impact.

Both Major and Significant changes will require a pre review via CAB Agenda and possible a detailed walkthrough from the requestor / sponsor.

The Minor Change will be represented on the CAB day and potentially approved in the meeting.

The other thing to understand is that we are restricted to Tin and String changes and will occur at some point. The approval to proceed with a build from project (financial, strategy and resourcing) is controlled via a different project process. The Project manager interacts with change when actual environmental changes are required.

Basically, does this seem sensible? have we missed the point and can you think of criteria i can put into Minor.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first comments are

why are you not basing your CM policy and categorisation on the realities of the corporate IT environment ?

That would be a better way to classify your CM Policy, process

ITIL is just a guide and the classification model is there - in part as an example

It boils down to this

1 - You have an time driven CM categorisation - Emergency, Fast Track for example - where the time criticality and impact to production are the critical factors

2 - You have a process driven CM Categorisation model - Significant, Major, Normal, Standard, for example - where the change has to be done in an orderly fashion.

You need to look at what the scope is -
Application
Server
Network
Data Centre
etc

and whether the complimentary processes - Release & Configuration - are in place - as Release will definitely have an influence on Change.

As you can see in my signature, I have been doing Change Management for a few years

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
swal87
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time UKVIKING

Im not sure I get the first point about the realities of the corporate environment? My idea of the time frames is to offer some protection to the business and to put an end once and for all to engineers and project managers requesting changes at the last minute and expecting approval before CAB.

This will also give us some time to undertake assurances, peer reviews, security sign offs etc.... whilst still allowing an avenue for true fast track changes. Not where someone forgot and now needs a favour.

Configuration management is primitive within the organisation, but does exist for application deployments, however Change and Release Management are combined into the same team.

RFC forms we use have the scope for the full implementation instructions.

All the areas you have mentioned are in scope

Applications: - Rollout - patching -
Servers
Network - Although more difficult for me to
Data Centres

I suppose what I am asking what else could be put into the minor category. I feel saying all changes that have "no impact" and "low Risk" to production services is a big catch all that could bite us when we try to apply categorisation.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

To my first point. The defintion of how you differentiate the types of changes should be based on the IT environment at hand

So for example: The CM scope is only networks so there is a fast turn around and very little testing as the majority of the work is either enable or disable F/W ports / IP.

So there would only need to be - Emergency (Fault fix), Normal Change

These are speedily approved (almost presumed)

However, there are a few changes that involves other work than F/W disable enable port /IP so you have Major

So you have 3 Change Classifications - Emergency and Major and Normal
Emergency for Fault fixes only
Major and Normal for everything else. The CAB only discusses the Major but the CM merely tracks the normal for statistical purposes

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for lead time etc. I would not even bother

I would have the following disclaimer

if the Change Request meets the criteria to be included in the next CAB Meeting, the CM will inform the requestor of the date / time their change would be added to the agenda

Another point. There is NO guarentee a change will be approved nor deployed when the customer wants.

This is because if there is a fault - critical - that occurs as the same time the change will be scheduled, which should be dealt with first ?

The fault of course.

The CAB when approving the change would schedule in accordance with the next window

Manage expectations

ChangingMan
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's entirely specific to your business needs but we use fairly standard catagories.

This is ripped out of our change management policy which I wrote.

Standard Change
A standard change is a change to a service or infrastructure for which the approach is preauthorized by change management. A standard change has an accepted and established procedure to provide a specific change requirement. The crucial elements of a standard change are that:
The change is in the Standard Change list documented by Change Management
The tasks are well known, documented, and proven
Authority is effectively given in advance and authorisation is not required from CAB or Change Manager
The impact is low and always well understood
The risk is low and always well understood

Minor Change
A minor change is any change which is not a standard change, a major change or an emergency change. All minor changes must be submitted to the Change Manager for approval once the change has secured resource and availability from the Change Implementer to be completed. Once approved, the Change Implementer can carry out the change.

Major Change
A major change is any change which is considered to be of high risk, high impact or may be significantly visible both internally and externally (such as the deployment of a new customer service capability). Release as defined in the companies Release Management policy are also considered Major changes. All Major Changes must be submitted to the CAB for review, should further discussions be required an emergency CAB meeting may be convened.

Emergency Change
Emergency changes are usually initiated in response to a critical IT situation, often an incident or problem requiring immediate action to restore service or prevent service disruption.
The emergency change category is reserved for changes intended to repair an error in a service that is negatively impacting the business to a high degree.
Effectively, the emergency change procedure will follow the normal change procedure except that:
Approval by Change or Incident Manager if neither can be contacted and sufficient business justification exists the change may be carried out with retrospective authorisation sought.
Testing may be reduced, or in extreme cases forgone completely, if considered a necessary risk to deliver the change immediately.
Documentation, such as updating the change record and configuration data, may be deferred, typically until normal working hours.
The number of emergency changes proposed should be kept to an absolute minimum, because they are generally more disruptive and prone to failure with corresponding negative impacts to service availability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: