Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AAbe
New Today: 4
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 146100

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 4
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Possible Jobs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Jobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
immortalscythe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Possible Jobs Reply with quote

Hi guys. I am an ITIL v3 foundation certified and work as Service Desk at the moment. I am planning to get ITIL Intermediate: Service Operations as what offered here. but i would like to know your inputs if it is a smart move to get this? what are the jobs i can apply for if incase i got the Intermediate level? thanks for all the inputs.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same jobs you could without having ITIL V3 Intermediate

The fact that you have passed or taken a particular ITIL or other skill course is NOT a reason any company will hire you.

It - the course, the knowledge and the exam (validation) is there for you to use as a skill / knowledge set.

If you apply the information in a role or you seek a role where you can apply this information , then the company may decide to hire you for the role depending on their needs and your abilities

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
immortalscythe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply..

sir, can you give me some samples of job positions? i think i need to review my itil foundation knowledge as it has been almost a year when i got certified and i havent use it really on my position.

kindly give me a broad advise. highly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are working on a Service Desk and feel that you are not using any ITIL Knowledge.7113

immortalscythe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well being part of the Service Operations of ITIL v3, as a service desk, i am indeed using the ITIL knowledge, that's why i would like to take the ITIL Intermediate: SO, so i can go in-depth of it. i felt like, im stucked on a call center type of work only and we are just following process from the management. i cant see myself taking advantage of being an ITIL certified.

that is also the reason why i would like to ask experts' opinion on what positions might be applied if ever if i take and pass the intermediate level.

thanks again for the inputs. highly appreciated.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you think I started ?

I started in the Service desk

Then became the team lead for the shift I was on
Then moved up to SD Manager

ITIL is NOT a magical means to get you a new job or role.

You have to make sure that your management or the management of the company that will hire you can see that.

So, how many years have you been in the Service Desk ?

Do you merely do what you are told - process wise ?
Do you make any recommendations on how any of the processes can be improved
Do you see missing processes, procedures or incomplete ones ?
Do you see areas where they can be improved

Does your organisation promote from within ?

If you have been in the SD for more than 3 years in the same role, what skills and education (IT directly related and indirectly related) have you acquired ?

In other words - what sets YOU apart from the 100s of thousand people with ITIL Foundation that works in a Service Desk

OK. So you go for the ITIL Intermediate courses - which one ?

Say you go for the one that concentrates on Service Operations ?

OK.... now you have the same level of certification as a smaller set of the one above. but.. there are people who have number of years doing IT SM roles such as SD Tech leads, SD Management, and shift leads who have never had any ITIL Training yet.. they do their roles like what is in the books ... strange .. aint it.

I can spend a lot of time telling you a whole lot of things .... but.

It is real simple

Experience counts
Experience is doing it wrong, getting it correct, and trying to make changes - which sometimes fail.. But the role you are in has to be able to allow this. If not, YOU LEARN what is going on.

Education counts but not as much.....Education provides theory. Experience and the application of the theory teaches.

So, draw out a realistic plan as to what you want to do.

Do you want to stay in IT SM SD Operations ? Or do you prefer something else in IT

Work towards that goal

DISCLAIMER: I don't hold any of the ITIL current version certification. I hold the previous version's Service Manager's certificate. For my roles, nothing has changed between the version in 2001 - 2006 and the version currently being used. ITIL has changed to include more IT areas related to IT Service Management than before. However, I am familiar with them all after 30 years in IT

immortalscythe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: very broad unexpected answers. Reply with quote

sir

thank you so much for your input. i learned a lot from your single post that provided a lot of insights. i am just thinking that getting certified will be the ticket way out from this kind of role and jump to other function but still experience counts better than paper certified person like me.

it still boils down on the person on how they will utilize the knowledge they have and apply it in the real world.

i just cant see any other improvement on myself with this company as we are just following the process they have like a puppet. even if we have an idea, we will tell it to our leads, but the management is not listening on it. ending, we as the SD are the one who is suffering.

i am just preparing myself before i resign, so that, at least i can have other function after being an SD for more than 2yrs. would like to explore more and become in depth with the best practices so i can be more useful in the organization rather than just following them like we dont have our own voice.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why quit ?

if the company offers training, take it.

I don't know where you are... but it is always harder to find a job when unemployed.

Look for similar roles for other companies and senior roles for other companies.

But again.. you have to do what you feel is right for you

immortalscythe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sir. not gonna quit. what i mean is, im just preparing and i will not/never resign not until i sign a contract from a new company.

sad to say, they dont offer trainings. my trainings came from my pocket. i just think of it as my investment. in the long run i'll be the one to reap all the fruit of it.

thanks again sir Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: