Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MWaldock
New Today: 55
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142350

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident/Problem Manager - Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident/Problem Manager - Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmagpie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Incident/Problem Manager - Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

Quick question

Iím responsible for recruiting an Incident Manager role, however the Problem Manager is not under my remit as Service Delivery Manager. I understand the differences between Incident and Problem but what are the main concerns regarding Incident and Problem Manager having the same role (1 person). I know ITIL suggests they should be separate roles but I know for a fact we donít get that many major incidents to keep the Incident Manager busy full time, whatís the issue if I employee an Incident/Problem Manager (1 person) if the successful applicant fully understands the role and responsibilities of both functions?

Thanks
baloutang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may come a time when they are conflicted with themselves.

Incident managers want to triage and get the service up and running regardless of how it's done.

Problem managers are not as reactive. They want to delve in deeper and rather than just "restarting" the service, they would look want to capture log files and try to figure why it happened in the first place.

It probably can be done with one person, but then how effective will your Incident or Problem management be in the end.
AnandSancheti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While its recommended that we have 2 different individual performing Incident & Problem Management Role, its not always feasible in given team for various reasons .... most common being "available FUNDING". In such cases its not uncommon to have same person acting as Incident Manager / Problem Manager.

I & another Member of my team, acted as Incident/ Problem Manager for last year. We wanted to have backup for each other and available funding was only for 2 FTEs Smile
MadhavaVermaDantuluri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Incident manager Reply with quote

I am performing the role of Incident manager also in my current job and my primary roles are:
1. Responsible for approving the incident to S1/P1 which involves downtime of environment.
2. Informing to customers and top executives regarding any outage and backup plans.
3. Owning the responsibility of top ten customer incidents and track the progress daily.
So many more...
ChangingMan
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think unless you are in an extremely busy environment that the two roles are not mutally exclusive.

The advantage of the PM also being the IM is that the PM/IM is fully aware of what was uncovered during the incident also all the steps taken to restore service.

Having worked as a PM for several years we often found during RCA that much of the granular detail of the incident was lost (i.e. not recorded on the incident or problem ticket).

In many organisations the Incident and Problem management role are combined, this is not bad practice and is based on the business needs and requirements.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing Man

Having 1 person doing 2 roles - Incident & Problem Manager - which has contradictory purposes is NOT best practice according to IT SM Best practice - ITIL

Incident management is restore service now
Problem management is find the cause of the incident.

If the IM goal is NOT restore service now, then the company is failing their customers

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ChangingMan
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously during the course of an incident restoring service is the priority, but I fail to see why once service is restored the IM can't then put his PM hat on and work to identify root cause?

I previously spent 3 years working as a Problem Manager in a large enterprise environment with separate IM and PM functions. Personally I found the delay in the incident being wrapped up, closed and a problem ticket raised a hindrance to RCA.

Often key information was lost, overwritten or not recorded and this directly increased the "No Fault Found" closure category. I'm sure I don't have to explain that this is the worse conclusion to any problem investigation.

At this stage I want to be clear, I'm not saying it is certainly better for the IM/PM role to be combined. I am mearly stating that it could work well given the right processes and people.
In many of the big financial organisations in the UK the roles are successfully combined, it a matter of what is right for the individual business and not what is written in 15 year old ITIL doctrine.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing Man

ITIL was last updated 3 years ago and all processes were reviewed / updated

You are correct that if the processes and the mgmt design the process etc for iM & PM correctly and the individual can separate the roles, of course it can be done.

It is not ideal... but if it works .. it works

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: