Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DIrish
New Today: 28
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146187

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 3
Total: 54 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Retrospective change request
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retrospective change request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilberts_cousin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Retrospective change request Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am quite new to ITIL and I wanted to get some opinions on an ITIL standard, as I have conflicting views to our CAB.

Our IT department is in the process of introducing ITIL standards. While this is a good thing, I feel that the designers of our system have been a bit "artistic" with some definitions and have basically made something up.

I am aware of what a change request is (obviously)

I am aware of a retrospective change.

I do not accept that there is such a thing as a "Retrospective change request" though. Their thinking behind is that it is a way of logging all changes in the event of emergency unplanned downtime, which sounds great to me. But they insist that this is a perfectly acceptable ITIL approved term. My question is simply "IS IT?!?"

I may be just arguing over wording, but exact wording is very important as far as I am concerned. Any opinions welcome!
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have Retrospective Change Requests - Logic is:

A Request For Change (RFC) is the document/starter for a Change to be initiated in the system(manual or electronic).

In order to facilitate speedy / timely correction/fixing of a system outage ITIL recognises the need to complete documentation retrospectively. In other words, fix the problem, then document it.

In this scenario you have a Retrospective Change Request.

I quote from the V2 Service Support CD Chapter 8.5.11

"It may not be possible to update all Change Management records at the time that urgent actions are being completed (e.g. during overnight or weekend working). It is, however, essential that manual records are made during such periods, and it is the responsibility of Change Management to ensure that all records are completed retrospectively, at the earliest possible opportunity. This is vital to ensure valuable management information is not lost. An example could be the updating of an attribute defining 'success', 'failure' or perhaps 'partial failure' of a Change. The updating should be carried out by the person responsible for applying the Change, and should happen no later than the

Post Implementation Review - and perhaps with the cooperation of the project team, Release or applications software development manager."

Regards

Ed
scrufmonst

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Retrospective change request Reply with quote

Dilbert,

Ed is correct in his assessment you can have a change that is to implement a quick fix (to get the system back on its feet) but after the fact you HAVE to do the due diligence of documentation.

Also, just a point of fact, ITIL does not have standards it is a framework of best practices.......if Standards are to be applied to ITIL than those Standards would be ISO 20K. Yes, common language is esstential to any broad scope business change, keep your head up and good luck

Regards

scott
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yes you can have retrospective changes. Ensure you have them only for emergencies and also that you have a time period for when they have to be logged e.g. 24 hours after the change and no later.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all the above posters. The only thing I wanted to add is that somebody should be accountable and have it in their job responsibilities that all such changes are recorded within certain period of time.

Make sure it is ONE person who has to ensure that happens, otherwise, it won't get done.
Anushree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly new to itil. in an interview i was asked what retrospective change is.. i didnt know.. well i read the above comments.. so i now understand that it means... first fix the issue then document it. but what i want to know is.. even in an emergency, an ECAB is convened.. so does that not happen in retrospective change? or can somebody please explain me the process of retrospective change...

Thanks is advance!!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Retrospective change - an example.

The company has a network which is managed by Cisco routers

The company finds out that the network is suffering several intermittent outages.

The fix is to upload a fix.
The problem is that the standard process is to test this fix in a test environment and then watch

The fix is NOT Guarenteed to solve the issue... but....

So the IT Mgmt gives the go ahead. It gets done
It fixes the problem

So the IT Mgmt has the network team raise the Change request... and get it scheduled for the next meeting

The reason it is a retro spective is that the time that is needed to approve an emergency change may be too long before the company's entire network shuts down

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ChangingMan
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emergency changes, in my opinion, should be like Standard Changes with approval given in advance.

In fact emergency changes shouldn't even require any detailed information on the change record prior to being implemented. This can be added afterwards.

An Emergency Change should only be used to restore service or prevent an immediate outage to service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: