Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AVallery
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146169

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 2
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - PDAs or handhelds with trouble ticket software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PDAs or handhelds with trouble ticket software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: PDAs or handhelds with trouble ticket software Reply with quote

Has anyone used a handheld device with trouble ticketing software on it. We use Remedy and I want to make the field techs within the hospital a bit more efficient. Looking for a tool to keep them from coming back to home base every 20 minutes when there was a job right next door that could have been fixed. Also to catch those trouble tickets when stopped in the hallway but no time to fix it, hate it when I forget who stopped me and for what.
bishopk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Wireless/handheld Reply with quote

I don't know the technology incredibly well... but here goes...

Remedy has a Web interface, I'm not sure if it can be streamlined for usage on a handheld, but I would contact BMC or a partner for Remedy to see if they have anything to help you.

There are a multitude of Handheld devices that have we browsing (Blackberry[for now...], Palm, Windows CE stuff.... So as long as you have some service that allows them to connect to your Service Management Application through a web site. you have the Potential to accomplish what you are looking for.

Another option could be, that they just use the Computer they are currently at/working from to check their queue before heading to the next job.
allenm10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge lover of PDAs and was looking to introduce them into my last helpdesk when we implimented a new ITIL based product.

I looked at several solutions and most apps with an web front end, I found, would not work fully on a Pocket PC based PDA (The browser on pocket PCs does not support all the Java full browsers support)

I evaluated Hornbill, Touchpaper, Symbox and several others in a similar price range.

Many of the applications I looked at could not deal with the small screen size of most PDAs and needed exessive scrolling.

The only application I saw which could cope with the PDA was an early version of Symbox.

I tried it on a Unitec PDA with a Barcode reader built in and was able to use it for asset tracking as an added bonus.

I hope this helps
PeterOz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mobile workforce ! If your toll can have an HTML only output as well as the groovy active x stuff then this is very easy. Until Blackberry run XP on their devices this is where you will be. As stated before the issue is the resolution more than anything else and the way your application behaves in a simpler format. I have done this before a few times with great success - one site has 300 field engineers running around with Blackberrys logging & updating incidents & Problems and managing Change Requests. They change from an internal wireless connection when on site to a n external ISP wireless connection when out of range.

Loads of cost benefits and very effective.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to allenm10 - I know that Touchpaper have recently released their new product set including a mobile portal. I haven't tested it myself to comment on the amount of scrolling - but the demo looked as though it had potential.
mgnrfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in our organization, we have attached Remedy to mobile SMS system.
we have a waste area to support so we have assigned engineers area wise.
when helpdesk logs a call on Remedy it automatically assigns the engineers in that perticular area and it triggers SMS with user information and small incident description.
We haev given mobile phones to engineers.. cast effective as well as time saving.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: