Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CVial
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131850

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 7
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How is the quality of ticket logging tracked
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is the quality of ticket logging tracked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnoldmram
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: How is the quality of ticket logging tracked Reply with quote

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up a helpdesk solution in our company. In this process, we realized that it is important for us to track the quality of the tickets logged in such as if the Ticket had all the relevant fields filled up with "actual relevant" details, any mis assigned tickets.

Any thoughts on how this is done from an ITIL perspective
lexxone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How is the quality of ticket logging tracked Reply with quote

arnoldmram wrote:
Hello,

We are in the process of setting up a helpdesk solution in our company. In this process, we realized that it is important for us to track the quality of the tickets logged in such as if the Ticket had all the relevant fields filled up with "actual relevant" details, any mis assigned tickets.

Any thoughts on how this is done from an ITIL perspective

arnoldmram;
I'm not sure about an ITIL perspective on this, other than the quality of incident ticket documentation is a critical success factor for Problem Management.
We have a grading system we use on our service desk analysts. We have defined a set of criteria that are the items we are looking for that must be in a ticket. Each criteria has a different weight that totals 100. For example, the incident description field must contain certain keywords and adequate explanation (this is a weight of 15). The action log (what the Service Desk analyst searched for or had the user attempt to do) has to be filled in with actions they took. This has a weight of 10. And other criteria add up to the 100. Then, every month, the analysts are graded on 10 tickets chosen at random. If their average score is above 95, they get a bonus of some kind. If it is less than 90, we work with them, or for consistently poor quality, we put them on performance monitoring. The analyst that scores the highest gets his name on a plaque as the monthly winner and an entry in a yearly drawing for a big prize. Competition usually helps drive good results.
Since the tickets are drawn at random, the analysts are usually compliant in all of their tickets, since they don't know which ticket will get graded.
It is a lot of work for management to do the grading, but it pays off. Now, we have to implement this same sort of thing across all the departments outside the Service Desk as that is where the most poor-quality documentors exist.
Hope this helps...
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drool with envy. I get to investigate tickets with title: Nothing on Computer is working, and resolution "Bob fixed it".
arnoldmram
Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexxone,

This is a wonderful way of ensuring that all the service desk agents fill up the Incident records accurately with sufficient detail. Looks like you have developed a good grading system. Though, this increases the workload for the service desk manager, I believe, it still pays off. It is better to work a little more and do the grading rather than try and analyze Incidents which eisbergsk mentioned " Nothing on Computer is working, and resolution "Bob fixed it"." I believe, developing a grading system like yours will also help the Service desk agents to be motivated to record more details in the Incident record than just "Bob fixed it"!

thank you for that wonderful explanation.
rdbecker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: How is the quality of ticket logging tracked Reply with quote

lexxone wrote:
arnoldmram;
I'm not sure about an ITIL perspective on this, other than the quality of incident ticket documentation is a critical success factor for Problem Management.
We have a grading system we use on our service desk analysts. We have defined a set of criteria that are the items we are looking for that must be in a ticket. Each criteria has a different weight that totals 100. For example, the incident description field must contain certain keywords and adequate explanation (this is a weight of 15). The action log (what the Service Desk analyst searched for or had the user attempt to do) has to be filled in with actions they took. This has a weight of 10. And other criteria add up to the 100. Then, every month, the analysts are graded on 10 tickets chosen at random. If their average score is above 95, they get a bonus of some kind. If it is less than 90, we work with them, or for consistently poor quality, we put them on performance monitoring. The analyst that scores the highest gets his name on a plaque as the monthly winner and an entry in a yearly drawing for a big prize. Competition usually helps drive good results.
Since the tickets are drawn at random, the analysts are usually compliant in all of their tickets, since they don't know which ticket will get graded.
It is a lot of work for management to do the grading, but it pays off. Now, we have to implement this same sort of thing across all the departments outside the Service Desk as that is where the most poor-quality documentors exist.
Hope this helps...

Any chance we could get you to provide more information on your grading system? This will be unpopular with my technicians but it's something I need to implement.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a really good way of improving the quality of the content of help desk incidents.

I wonder if implementing a grading system would make much difference to the way our team works at the moment. I have a feeling it wouldn't be welcomed and would only increase the stress level for some of them.

I will however suggest to the Help Desk Supervisor (yet to be appointed) that they do some form of QA and point out that this method has worked for others.

Thanks for the tip Smile
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with itilimp and rdbecker

I have already passed a printout of this forum thread to our Service Desk mangager to be greeted with sounds of delight.

lexxone

Come on spill the beans please please please

Regards

Ed
lexxone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: How is the quality of ticket logging tracked Reply with quote

I have a Word doc that shows the scoring sheet and explanation. I hope it's not anticlimactic after all the hype it's been receiving!!
I can't find a way to attach it or post it to this website, but if you email me, I can send it to you. Email is: lexxone [[at]] yahoo [[dot]] com
To help both the graders and the service desk analysts (SDAs), we also have some "golden tickets". These are exemplary tickets that are correctly documented - one from each tier 2 support area. We distribute them to the SDAs and may occasionally review and update them. In a utopian world, these golden tickets would possibly be CIs in our CMDB, or, at least, artifacts in our yet-to-be-implemented knowledge management tool.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexxone

I have already mailed you separately - thanks for the offer of the info!

Regards

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: