Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PaulinaCa
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 89
Overall: 139434

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 3
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Why was ITIL created?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why was ITIL created?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markbarr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Why was ITIL created? Reply with quote

I know who and when - but what was the real need for ITIL? Was it as a result of a study or white paper that said IT OPs in UK local govt. was rubbish?
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a quick look around, but the OGC don't say why it was developed - my guess would be a sequence of problems within the Government IT community. I seem to remember a series of fiascos about that time.

Regards

Ed
markbarr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I've had a quick look around, but the OGC don't say why it was developed - my guess would be a sequence of problems within the Government IT community. I seem to remember a series of fiascos about that time.

Regards

Ed

Cheers Ed - someone asked me this morning and I couldnt answer them.

I am working in Poland so I will say it was Thatchers way of dealing with the Unions Very Happy
markbarr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT - just found this

itsm.the-hamster.com/itsm2.htm

ITIL History

The Central Computer and Telecommunication Agency (CCTA), now called the Office of Government Commerce (OGC), created the ITIL framework in late 1980's. The original need was to improve the quality of IT services provided to the British government. The OGC created ITIL as an approach independent of vendor technology and caters to organisations with differing technical and business needs.

Identifying best practices that worked across the IT service industry developed ITIL version 1. Thus, ITIL is in true sense a representative of industry "best practices".

ITIL version 2 is the current publication by OGC. OGC made significant improvements to the original ITIL publication to reflect the new developments and changes in the IT services industry.

Today, IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) provides a framework of “best practice” guidance for IT Service Management and is the most widely used and accepted approach to IT Service Management in the world.
Sarge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was mainly deeloped for Mainframe support, soemthing that is rather amusing thinking that most people shout 'ITIL' now when mainframes are dying out.

I would say that looking at the processes they realised, even in the late 80's, that IT staff were out of control doing what they felt like doing without any structure. This would in turn have brought about the birth of the IT Consultant.

D'oh!!!
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Mainframes Reply with quote

I remember the mainframe days. Back then, service was something you did to the machines to keep them running. Service to the customer was unheard of! ITIL was really radical at its inception
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mainframes Reply with quote

RobRoy47 wrote:
I remember the mainframe days. Back then, service was something you did to the machines to keep them running. Service to the customer was unheard of!

As a dinosaur from the 'Mainframe Days' I have to dispute this - I was sent on Customer Care courses back in the late 70's to ensure that this scenario was not possible. I worked for a very large US Car maker in the UK, and they insisted that we took care of our internal customers.

I appreciate that some companies may have been like this, but equally others were not.

Regards

Ed
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also told that one of the objectives of a process oriented framework was to document a way of working that the government could "force" their contractors to adopt, thus allowing them to be compatible and integrate cross-organization processes.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: