Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HGoble
New Today: 33
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 148113

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 1
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Defining Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defining Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jccoder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Defining Change Reply with quote

We are starting to put together a new CM. One of the issues we are struggling with is the definition of change - we have helpdesk, desktop applications, unix, network, wintel and database represented.
Everyone seems to have a different idea of what change is. Any suggestions - we seem to be leaning to having change and the rules defined the by the groups - this seems wrong and should we should a definitative definition for change.

thx- Smile

jc
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the book

Definition of a Change
The authorized addition, modification, or removal of approved, supported or base lined: hardware, network, software, environment, system, desktop build, or associated documentation

Regards

Ed
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccoder,

have varient definitions of changes based on you groups is probably not good. On the other hand there is not one 'definitive' model for all changes. The Change Management chapter discusses the need for different change 'models' in some length. These would be based on impact, ugency, risk, number of CIs affected, and so on.

Not as you seem to be implying on 'what is changing' - in which case you will have different 'builds', but change management doesn't build changes.
ikanaj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to ITIL framework. Would it right to consider hiring a new employee as a change ??? Its not anCI that can be baselined though???

Thanks,
ikanaj
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm,

well it would be intereting to see what the BIA would look like, and the backout plan and uers acceptance testing for that type of chnage Smile

Still, personnel records can be considered CI's and people are defintely production factors of services - particualrly professional services.

It's an odd one to be sure, IT service management processes are not designed to be HR management processes. Could we raise an 'incident' against a personnel CI when a staff member is off sick? And rasing an RFC on a collegue who unexpectedly died - would just be tacky. Shocked (When workplace/business culture gets to that point, I'm off to the tropics to live in a hut and collect sea shells Smile )

Generally I think integration of HR and line management practices would go only as far as keeping appropriate information on the relationship between HR inputs and service delivery and support .
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikanaj wrote:
Hi,

I am new to ITIL framework. Would it right to consider hiring a new employee as a change ??? Its not anCI that can be baselined though???

Hello Ikana,

If we are speaking strictly ITIL, then the answer is no. But if you're speaking in terms of controlling and improving the greater organization than the answer is "yes". Remember, ITIL is a set of "guidelines" that only deal with IT Service Management, with respect to technology in the "production" environment. It, therefore, has huge gaps when you apply it to the greater organization and other parts of IT Operations, such as Envisioning/Inception, Planning, Implementation, Construction, Deployment/Distribution, Testing & Verification, etc. It also does not cover the "human resource" aspect of an organization, such as you pointed out with your question.

If you're looking to implement ITIL and nothing but ITIL, then stick with a Change only being IT related. If you're trying to improve your entire enterprise, as a whole, then think bigger picture and take on the view that your CIO/CTO/COO/CEO would take on.

Many organizations are very advanced and "do" cover the management of humans as "CIs", whether they know it or not. My recommendation is that you consider the bigger picture of the definition of "Change" and not limit yourself to the ITIL definition. However, reality dictates that most groups can only work in small, manageable, steps. Therefore, if your scope is limited due to limited resources, do the best you can, within the domain you're trying to solve, keeping in mind the greater picture as a set of requirements for future expansion.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Lola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question actually came up in my ITIL foundation class. The instructor basically said the same thing as Guerino1.
If you have configuration items to the employee level, then yes it would be considered a change.
But in reality, most companies would not have CI's at that level.

The company I work with has a pretty good chagne management process in place, but there is sometimes still a bit of a strugle in determining what really needs to go through the formal change process.
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule of thumb, I use that any change to a CI, as well as the introduction or removal of a CI, and any of its fields, is subject to the Change Management process. It is to me the only way to introduce a CMDB and make sure it will always be up-to-date.

So, to me, defining what a change is needs to be done at the same time the scope of the CMDB is defined. If a CI is worth tracking, then any change to it is worth managing...

What do you guys think?

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: