Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DRivero
New Today: 19
New Yesterday: 65
Overall: 131776

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 0
Total: 45

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementing ITIL in a mid-size bank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementing ITIL in a mid-size bank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie55

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Implementing ITIL in a mid-size bank Reply with quote

Planning to implement incident, problem, change, and configuration processes in a bank with more than 70 branches. To do this, I need to replace old-fashion helpdesk software with the new one that is ITIL compliant and has incident, problem, change, and configuration management modules embedded.

However, I am facing a lot of challenges from application development and support unit in IT department. Sad They don't want to give up their old helpdesk software because it's initially designed for the follow-up of software/system projects which they need the most. After modifications 6 months ago, we started using like helpdesk software.

I work in IT operations unit within the department and plan to purchase this new helpdesk software. IT operations is responsible for network, system, and helpdesk management, but I believe that application support under software unit also should use new helpdesk software.

I need to convience senior management team to adopt ITIL compliant software for not only IT operations unit but also for application soft. dev and supp. unit. I understand ITIL is not all about software but also changing ways done in IT.

Could you please tell me are there any drawbacks of using ITIL compliant helpdesk software tool for only IT operations not for application support? How relevant is ITIL in terms of application support and development? What advantages will ITIL bring if we combine new ITIL compliant software for both IT operations and software?

Thank you very much for your help in this matter, Smile

Mike
psabreu

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You have a tough job ahead of you. I think you should not try to start with buying softwares; instead, you should start with Education. Spreading ITIL knowledge to the people will likely (and hopefully) bring more advocates of the ITIL benefits and you will gain more suporters for investments in tools.
Don't know how much into that process you already are at.
Regards,

Paulo
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I think that Paolo has the right answer here - I have found that the more you can get people through the Foundation course the more they understand the reasons for using Best practice (ITIL) It is a selling job - you must have the buy-in from Senior Management, preferably at Board level if possible. I have been looking at software myself and for a small/medium company the costs over three years could be 200,000, without any additional consultancy added in. You won't want second rate software and the good stuff costs.

Equally - some people will see the process as an additional layer of work that they don't want and will therefore be obstructive. Without buy-in you have little chance of making staff comply. this then kills the credibility of the process.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
newbie55

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Ed and Paulo I appreciate you answering my questions and giving me valuable feedback on this issue. I expected other experienced itilers would put more input in this issue which can be as complicated as it gets.

Well, let me give you more insight of why we want to implement ITIL principles at the bank. As some of you might know, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other regulations pushed the banks to adopt a set of controls and standards. COBIT which can be defined as the governance of IT is about process and strategic controls. Whereas, ITIL interrelated with COBIT is all about process control and execution.

In COBIT 4.0, there are a number control objectives on four domains, akin to ITIL processes. Especially, control objectives on deliver and support domain cover at least 3-4 processes ITIL describes. I am also a ITIL-foundation certified and a member of project team that develops controls, metrics, policies, and procedures for COBIT. This COBIT project is fully supported by our senior management team so we have a buy-in from SMT. However, people especially some unit managers do not know anything about ITIL and how much COBIT is related with ITIL. Of course, with education, we may overcome this challenge, but it may not work at this organization. Middle mgmt team is reluctant to change of culture.

So I am thinking of completing procedures and policies under COBIT framework, then address these with ITIL processes. After these, I will prepare a requirement analysis of what we want to have from a well-designed helpdesk software that must also be ITIL compliant due to COBIT. Do you think this approach will work to convince SMT to purchase this software? Do you recommend other ways?

Regards,

Thank you,

Mike
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

my experience of COBIT is nil so I cannot comment on using it's framework.

I wrote a Statement of Requirements (Invitation To Tender) to start the process of obtaining software for ITSM.

The SOR set out what we wanted from the software companies.

This in turn enabled me to sift the offerings of a select few (6) companies to find the putative best fit for us (No software will ever do all you want).

You will still need to sell ITIL as best practice to your middle managers to ensure they actually engage with the processes within ITIL. They will, after all, be users of the system that you install.

I woulsd also recommend getting / reading the ITIL book 'Planning To Implement ITIL' (Green Cover)

This helped me an awful lot.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
newbie55

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely right about writing a statement of requirements that will point out capabilities our current helpdesk lacks of. This way, our software development unit will have two options: Getting rid of existing helpdesk software or developing it on the basis of our most requirements.

I don't think software dept. has enough resources to allocate for the development of current helpdesk software which is absolutely primitive tool. We have already opted this helpdesk software developed by an international company which has good references. Their product is very comprehensive, user-friendly, and cheap. It will cost us about 20,000 Euro.

Only way to get middle mgmt team involved in ITIL processes is to buy a software which is ITIL compliant. This way will speed up their learning; otherwise, I am pretty sure that they won't learn through training, presentations, or business case studies. About the book, yes, I will definitely buy this book which I am sure will help me a lot as well.

Thanks Ed, I wish that more people like you would assist others who are in need of help.

Mike
ozz
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When software folks talk of ITIL compliant its just sales fuzz...
I work with Remedy and HP Service Desk and yes both apps "support ITIL framework"
What does that mean ?
Our of the box both apps use ITIL naming conventions, and if fully deployed with all the bells and whistles AND integrated into ALL your other systems. You could say the applications support the ITIL framework.

An issue of using software to be an ITIL driving force is that the further up the food chain you get the more emote the people are to software.
Today, how many times a week does a C level person look at incident statistics. ??

If you can link the reduction of incidents to a productivity gain ( read make more money ) then the incident stats means something to the C level folks..

The value to sell the management in the creation of Continuous (Customer) Service Improvement Program, I added in Customer. Its becomes a much easier sell because who in middle management want to document that their lack of adoption of the CCSIP.??

Once meddle (good typo ) management see value increase and pain decrease you will get their attention.

Oz

snip
Only way to get middle mgmt team involved in ITIL processes is to buy a software which is ITIL compliant. This way will speed up their learning; otherwise, I am pretty sure that they won't learn through training, presentations, or business case studies.
snip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: