Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MMacPhers
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 146565

People Online:
Visitors: 43
Members: 1
Total: 44 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: ITIL UK Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just found out I've passed ITIL Foundation Cetificate with a 95% score...I am v.happy as it confirms what I thought about the direction my career is taking. I am looking forward to starting the ITIL Manager exam in January and am determined to pass...do any of you have any tips on how to handle this course?

Oh, if anyone is in Vancouver (actually, anywhere in Canada) and needs an experienced, ITIL certified, Service Desk project leader / manager, please contact me: marcusjamison@nospam.hotmail.com (remove 'nospam' when mailing)

Regards,

Marcus
Nottingham, UK
Gav
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just completed my Management exams in London (the October intake), and still waiting for my results. Its very intensive 2 x 5 day courses with 2 written exams over 2 days.

It was a bit of a culture shock to have to do written exams and as the subject matter is IT, i am sure I was not alone when i had to rediscover my handwriting.

There is lots of advise i could probably give you, but i would say the most important thing is not to get bogged down in details of processes, but to absorb the knowledge at an elevated level. The questions in the exam are high level (ie. their is no 'what is the definition of...' etc etc.) more like - 'you are the incident manager, and how would you handle this scenario' etc etc.

The other revelation I had is that foundation and management are like chalk and cheese. After doing the Management course/exams, for me - the foundation accreditation is significantly devalued to the extent that anyone asking for ITIL foundation in a job spec suggests they have no ITIL knowledge themselves. Nobody could expect to implement ITIL or even provide effective ITIL consultancy solely with that accreditation. Not trying to burst your bubble or anything - but the REAL ITIL is in the Managers training (you will see what i mean when you do it yourself)

Globally, 90% of participants pass foundation; Only 50% of participants pass the Managers certificate, so good luck! Wink
MarkS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Managers Certificate Reply with quote

Hi,

I did the managers course last year. It did come as a bit of a culture shock having to write long hand answers to questions - just like being back at school!

I would recommend that you chose a course provider who does example exam questions during the course. The provider I used gave us one example exam question every morning that was done under exam conditions. This meant that by the time of the actual exams we were used to it, and also had managed to work out how to structure answers in the best way.

The most important thing is when it comes to writing the answers, pay close attention to the wording of the question. Try to break down how many points the examiners are looking for. For example if a question says "detail the costs, benefits, and possible problems of implementing a capacity management process - 15 marks" - then the examiner will probably give upto 5 marks for costs, 5 for benefits and 5 for problems. Make sure you give 3 or 4 examples of costs, 3 or 4 of benefits, and 3 or 4 of problems, then go on to expand each by saying why it is a benefit / problem etc. In a question like that you'll probably pick up one mark for saying what the problem is and another for saying why it is a problem. Also on a question like that make sure all your points are linked to the implementation of the process, not ongoing issues. When you're writing the answer, you're not going to gain any extra marks for the style of your answer (with the exception of where the question says 'write a report...' you'll probably gain an extra mark for writing the answer in a report format), therefore just break it down into 3 the 3 sections of cost/benefit/problem and for each say - this is a benefit, this is why, and then move onto the next benefit.

Best of luck,

Mark
Jodi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely agree with the last 2 posts. I am due to sit my exams in January.

The course itself is very very different from the foundation course - which on average spends 2 days going through all 11 disciplines.

The Managers courses are 2 x 5 days - 1 week dedicated to Service Support and 1 to Service Delivery.

The exams are 2 x 3 hours of handwritten answers (no typing allowed!), the format and style of the questions are much more ambiguous as well, giving you the opportunity to go very indepth and really show your knowledge levels (where points will be given), however also providing lots of opportunity to go completely off track.

It is important to have a good understanding of all disciplines (although you will naturally have stronger and weaker areas) and know how they relate to each other and where they differ - Take Capacity and Availability Management or Incident and Problem Management, these are often mixed up or difficult to differentiate between.

You definitely need to attend training to take these exams - I would strongly advise against self learning - there is so much you will pick up from being with other people and relating your and their experiences to the subject matter (also if you tried to read either the red or blue books, you'll know what I mean when I say its a complete non-starter!!).

Also ensure that the training company uses actual exam questions in their training. The company I trained with made us to homework, we had to answer an actual exam question each night and it was marked (to exam standard) the next day. Also all our break out sessions were exam question based, and we also completed exam questions in the classroom under exam conditions. Let me assure you nothing else will prepare you for what it is like.

I've had a couple of weeks since I did my course before I started doing any indepth revision. I've since completed a mock exam for each section and could not believe how out of practice I was at answering the questions just from a 2 week break. So the advise here is once you've done the course, keep practicing until you take the exam.

Wish me luck for Jan, I've done well in the mocks but you never know.

Hope all goes well for you.
drambui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed the exam in mid-December. My general advice is that all of the information in the books and all of the coursework needs to be in your head so that you can apply it to the situation. Pay special attention to the Case Study as it was a part of nearly every question.

Practice the practice questions.

Finally you will know your ready when you can see it all together as a painting instead of a canvas with paint on it.

Good luck and start your hand exercises early.
Jodi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update - just got my Managers exam results...

... I PASSED !!!!!!!!!

It was hard work and the wait for the results is an absolute killer, however there is no better feeling than opening the envelope and seeing a positive result!

Good luck to everybody else still waiting.

Jodi
Jill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Congrats Reply with quote

Congrats to Jodi and all who have passed this manager's exam.
I am planning on taking the course soon!
After the manager's certificate, how has it been for everyone in the job market??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: