Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HMercier
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 53
Overall: 145934

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Need info on ITIL Foundation exam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on ITIL Foundation exam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newitil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Need info on ITIL Foundation exam Reply with quote

Hi
I am currently in USA and recently passed my PMP certification. I just came across this forum today when i was hunting for some documentation on ITIL foundation certification. I did go through the previous posts and was quite informative. But, i would like to know something put in a nutshell,

1. Are the training courses necessary to pass the foundation certification?. I mean that do i have to show any contact hours before i sit for the exam in my appication kit or i can take buy some study materials from your website for example for my PMP certification i needed to produce 35 contact hours as a requirement

2. What are the prerequsites if any ie educational qualifications

3. Do i have to take training from some accredited ITIL Training provider as a part of my pre-requisite to pass the exam and show them during my application process

Thanks

Gautam Sinha
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newitil

welcome to our forum

answers at Foundation level are

1. No

2. IT experience is always a help, but not a pre-requisite

3. No

I hope this helps.

Regards

Ed
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sit the Foundation exam you can either attend a course, or study on-line or with a CBT provider (Computer based training). If you have attended a course, you usually sit the exam in cl;ass on the 3rd day, with an invigilator. The results take a couple of weeks. The alternative (usually if you have studied independently) is to sit the exam online at a pro-metrics or similar exam centre offering this facility. The results are immediate. Most people pass the Foundation without too much difficulty

You will receive course notes whichever method you use. You may also receive the fundamentals pocket book itSMF IT Service Management: A companion to the IT Infrastructure Library ISBN
The EXIN exam and the ISEB exam have equal value, but the EXIN exam includes security.
ISBN: 0952470616 (available in several languages). YOU DO NOT NEED THE RED AND BLUE BOOKS AT THIS STAGE!

The Foundation is the pre-requisite to all the other courses.
Thw practitioner courses are useful if you want to concentrate on one area. Thay are not necessary before the Managers (called the masters in the USA). ie you can go straight to it without the practitioner qualifiction. The Practitioner and Managers MUSTbe done through formal training. You alsoneed at least 5 years experience in IT. The managers consists of two 5 day courses, 1 revision day and two 3-hour written exams held quarterly. It is very demanding, requiring a good knowledge of both red and blue books, and the pass rate is only about 55% of candidates. You can resit just 1 paper if you only fail one. about 5% of candidates get 65% or above in both papers at the same sitting, and are awarded a distinction.
Hope this helps
Liz (accredited trainer and recently appointed ISEB examiner)
sach0111

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add on to the queris, i would like to know that if attending the course is not essential then how do i register for the exam. any link provided will be appreciated. also how long does the preparation require?
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is to study the books (see above) or get hold of a self-study course on a CD, then apply to sit the exam at a Pro-mmetric or Pearson testing centre - turn up, get 26 out of 40 and that is it.
as for time - it deoends on your current level - 2-3 weeks of reading the books in the evening couls be enough, some people could do it with an intensive 1 week. The course is 3 days - with 11 topics, so you get an idea of what is involved. Do make sure you practise mock exams
nagarajgoud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone name the good books of ITIL Foundations, am newbie for ITIL and planning to study and prepare for exam soon.

Appreciate if you have any information on the training organization in singapore, about their standards, charges.

Thanks very much.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamentals pocket book itSMF IT Service Management: A companion to the IT Infrastructure Library ISBN: 0952470616 (available in several languages).
and
Foundations of IT Service Management: based on ITIL (Paperback)
by Van Haren Publishing
ISBN:9077212582 (not the "official " book, but excellent
tlsty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,
I'm a total freshman on ITIL. I read 2 different dumps from SS and SD - several times. I understand the point, but the mock test downloaded form inet killed me at 28/40 [i know I passed it, but it's like geting the certificate but understanding it at all Sad ]. I have SS and SD book, but it's cca. 700 pages and I simply don't have the time to read it. What would you recommend me to do excluding taking a course [I can't pay for it myself - over 1,5 monthly salary and I have a family as well] ?

Thanks for info and time.

Tlsty
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick to the books I recommended above, rather than SS and SD which are way to much at this level. An on-line course might also be a bit cheaper
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that in order to get the feedback etc and explanations from the instructors and the insights you get from other students to take the foundation class - physically

The online course does not convey the same level of information

Check the itSMF website for whether there is a country specific chapter and find out if the local universities are offering the foundation course.

From what I can tell this is starting to happen

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to ITIL. I have learnt a lot from this forum about ITIL.

I am plannng to go for the foundation exam by doing selfstudy. I would like to know if the book suggested by Liz "Foundations of IT Service Management: based on ITIL (Paperback) by Van Haren Publishing ISBN:9077212582 " is more than enough or should I take the ITIL tollkit also?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should invest in one of the Online STudy courses..

mainly because the courses are geared to making sure you get enough information so that you can pass the exam

The foundation exam is a tricky one

Part of the exam is to make sure you understand the 10+1 disciplines and can differentiate between them.

There usually is a question which would read like

There have been several server crashing causing multiple outages .. blah blah

Question : Under Problem Management blah blag

answers

incident management oriented answer - sounds the best response
incident management oriented answer - sound almost like the first
Problem mgmt answer - the correct one but sounds wrong
incident mgmt answer - sounds similar to the problem mgmt one

If you just read the little books, you might not get enough data to cover those.

But it all depends

If you are in IT in a ITIL oriented world, try to get your company to pay for it......as an incentive to keep you ... could not hurt to ask

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: