Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Milla7263
New Today: 57
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 150007

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - assyst -out of the box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

assyst -out of the box
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum to my own comment from above...

Quote:
One thing my experience has taught me is that a vendor's analysis of any business problem has a remarkable affinity for conclusions that support their own products.

...I do not intend to ascribe anything manipulative, cynical, or otherwise untoward to tool-set vendors. I am commenting on a perfectly natural state of affairs. No one, or no oragnisation is going to put all that money and effort into building one of these things is they don't actually think they are addressing a real problem or need effectively.

Trouble is, it is really very important not to buy the problem!
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank,

Snap! - I think we posted at exactly the same time. The one above hopefully confirms your interpretation.

Actually I think C and B are identical - the oraganisation is its processes in so much as one can't be changed in a non-trivial way without changing the other.

My rambling about data v process emphasis actually lines up - seems safe to say you advocate the information based approach. I trust you understand I am not particularly dark on that approach per se. It will often be the 'right thing to do' in many organisations.

I don't doubt for a second that your experience is very broad - much more so than mine. And I am sure it is of benefit to many who come here. And I do mean that.

WRT to the whole OTB thing, I would allow for the possibility that a solution can be designed under the principle that if a 'feature' can't be utilised without customisation it shouldn't be included. And that such a design philosophy need not 'cripple' a product. And as your solution is hosted (which I hadn't realised) that approach would make a lot of sense.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents (Frank & RJP)

Thanks for being (as usual) erudite and exhaustive in your replies.

Everyone else

one small niggle - I wonder how many people sit for a period trying to work out what the abbreviations mean - It took me ages to work out what LOL meant (I think it's Lord Oh Lord). frustrating to say the least!

Don't mean to be a whinger, but it bugs me. PCWPTWIF.

(Please can we put the words in full)

Regards

Ed
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL = Laughing Out Loud. I prefer to click on the Laughing at the side, which coincidentally uses the code ":"+"lol"+":"

So Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: