Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HA10
New Today: 34
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 140008

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 3
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - IT Service CMM & ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IT Service CMM & ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: IT Service CMM & ITIL Reply with quote

I am starting to implemt Service Level Management. Now before I start with gathering informationg I am also looking for an alternative methods (then ITIL) that I could use. In my quest to find more methods I found IT Service CMM this is a 5 Level Maturity model to check the Matyurity of the organisation. Also there are Process Areas on how to improve the maturity of the IT Service described.

Now I know ITIL is mostly used but why?
My question is why should men choose for ITIL instead of IT Service CMM?

Hopefully anyone can give me information and a answer to the question why to prefer ITIL above CMM?

Greetings,
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where folk have an interest in both ITIL and CMM the consensus is that the two coplement each other.

ITIL provides a template for designing and implementing your processes, and CMM a methodology for assessing their maturity.

Of course it doesn't end there. It is often advocated that you engage standards (like ISO 20k) to ensure there is also a solid governance and policy framework. Or that you use a project management methodology like PRINCE2, not just to implement ITIL, but to provide essential linkages to infrastructure management, and development. Others advocate 6 Sigma - in environments where quality is critical. Yet others claim the knowledge management is the 'missing chapter" of ITIL.

And the list goes on. In short, ITIL is a part of the IT managment picture, but even it's own authors don't think it is sufficient by itself.
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJP thanks for your comments.
I know ITIL and CMM can used together to form a better (implementation) method. Also ITIL is more for the processes and CMM is for checking the results/maturity of the implementation.
What I really want to know is why should you prefer/choose ITIL above CMM? and why not use CMM alone (I saw they provide some Areas to improve Service Delivery too).

1) So let's say you choose only ITIL for Service Level Management why do you choose ITIL?

2) Let's say you choose only CMM for Service Level Management why do you choose CMM?

Probably the most choose ITIL so the main question would be:
-Why choose ITIL (above) and not CMM?
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would re-iterate that any choice is a non-choice.

The main reason being that they don't work from conflicting definitions of core concepts and objectives. An Incident or Service in ITIL is pretty much compatible with the idea of an Incident or Service in IT Service CMM. If you use ITIL as a guide and do it well you're outcomes are going to overlap with the outcomes you would get if you effectively used ITSCMM as your roadmap.

But for the purposes of the discussion:

Both cover what, and why - what should be happening and according to which objectives.

ITIL has more on how, and the way in which different elements of IT Service Management interrelate.
CMM covers the same ground but all the information is structured around its maturity model and is therefor more compatmentalised. It also touches on some areas ITIL is scant on. For example Organisational Structure - Roles etc - so in CMM you will find clearly distinct definitions of the roles of Service Manager and Service Delivery Manager.

IT should also be noted that a lot of people 'think' of ITIL as Service Support and Delivery only, and from that perspective ITSCMM can appear a little more comprehensive. But not when you recall that ITIL also has chapters on Infrastructure Management, Security Management, etc.

In the end, the easiest way to get the difference is to read them. It's pretty easy to see how they can work together. (And at least the ITSCMM is available for free - so there's one reason why you might opt for ITSCMM Smile ).
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJP thanks for your input.
Sorry to say but I am not 100% satisfied with your answer no offence intended. The way I look at it is that CMM and ITIL can work well together (as you told also). But my opinion is that ITIL is more focused on IT service and service management, ITIL covers more processes. ITIL alsodescribes best-practises and how to establish a good IT service and service management.

IT service cmm is widely applicable then ITIL I think (application, adminsitration etc..) this is a bad point because it's too generic and does not go too deep into IT service / management. Also the method is not really 100% finished.

Maybe RJP or anyone else know/got some extra info on the + and - sides of both methods?

Thanks
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would say that ITSCMM doesn't need to do what ITIL does to be 'finished' because, well, ITIL exists. And vice-versa.

But I know of at least three members of this list that are quite well versed in CMM and ITIL 'integration' perhaps one or two might like to comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: