Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KennyArndt
New Today: 65
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150115

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Requirement for ITIL Instructor?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requirement for ITIL Instructor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAKH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Requirement for ITIL Instructor? Reply with quote

Hi

What are the official requirements to be an ITIL Trainer/Instructor givin that you are already ITSM certified?

Thank you.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you was how I got certified as a trainer -
I was sponsored by an existing accredited training company. There is a great shortage of trainers, so it is worth approaching training companies. (There is a list of Accredited training providers on the ITSMF members-only site). I had to fill out a form, saying what my ITIL experience was, and if I had any training experience (I hadn't as such, but had mentored junior team memebers and presented/explained new processes to customers in previous jobs, so I put that down). Once my form was accepted, i observed a couple of courses, and then went as an extra trainer on a couple more, where I taught a couple of the sessions myself. I got feedback from the training company. I then became a 2nd trainer, where I could accompany another trainer on a manager's course. After a couple of those, I graduated to 1st trainer, which means I can give Foundation and Practitioner courses, and be the 1st or 2nd trainer on Manager courses. The whole thing took a couple of months.
abdi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Technicians ! Reply with quote

Liz,

I checked your website and your career accomplishments are astinishing and are something to look up to.

Back in 2004 I was a helpdesk technician and when my company approved the bill for Remedy upgrade I iused the opportuinity to introduce ITIL incident management. No one had a clue about ITIL and I was pretty much working alone but I think I did a good job; I organized everything from service catalog to categorization to process tuning.

Right now I'm just another dull helpdesk technician at another company again, but I did my Foundations and hoping to do ISPR sometime this summer. And if I'm lucky I can do the manager's cert early next year.

I have a total of 10 years in I.T support, mostly as a helpdesk technician, but I aspire for more, especially as a trainer/consultant. And while I know that certificates and reading can't substitiute for actual implementation experience, I'd like to know if there's something I can do on that front while keeping my current job- I have to keep paying the bills.

Thanks and regards.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you mean by ISPR. You need to achieve your Manager's Certificate - Distinction if possible, but at least a good pass. Read all these forums and white papers etc that you can, and contribute to them Read the books thoroughly. I would advise trying to swot up on ISO 20000, and do the Consultants course (It is only 3 days). There are a number of books available from BSI that would help. Take every chance you get to find out how areas other than Helpdesk are implemented in your company - talk to your change manager, if you have one. Volunteer for any ne winitiatives, and keep showing you have the knowledge. Try and get in touch with other ITIL people in your area - through ITSMF or any other forums. Perhaps you could meet up to discuss issues?
What you said about my career was very kind - but I am nearly 50, and 10 years ago, I was stuck in a helpdesk manager job, so there is still plenty of time for you Very Happy
abdi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the multiple typos and misspellingn in my pevious post.

The acronym I intended was IPSR (ITIL Practitioner Support & Restore). It's combination of Incident, Problem and Service desk in one course.

This is a link from exin : http://www.exin-exams.com/default.asp?NewsID={5F2AF072-D1D9-4E37-BD0C-9643B98AB40A

I read in some posts here that it's a trend by training providers to bundle up more than a process in a single course, probably for financial feasibility reasons.

I understood your advice clearly, I should be able to concentrate more on gaining the relevant knowledge before attempting the certification. And ISO 20000 is in fact based on ITIL. But which should I go for first? Service manager or ISO?

You're right, there are many things I can do to compliment my lack of experience in this field. Including reading and networking ..which is why I'm here Very Happy . I'd like to thank you for offering to meet up for discussions; unfortunately I live a few thousand miles away in the tiny country of Kuwait, there's no itSMF chapter here and no training providers, the nearest training provider is HP in Dubai. However, I'll be grateful to exchange a few emails and have some access to your experienced advice.

Thanks
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nor sufggesting I met up with you, as I can see you are in Kuwait, but if you ask in the various forums, you might find local people whom you could meet up with, and possibly start thinking about setting up a local ITSMF chapter. (you would get a lot of support from ITSMF, and often sponsorship locally from HP/IBM etc.)
I would suggest the Managers certificate before ISO. (I realise now about youtr other qualification, it is one of the newwer, bundled practitioner certificates, and would help you when you went for Managers.
Good luck!
abdi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, Excuse my poor english comprehension.

The idea of local meet-ups for establishing a itSMF local chapter or a similar gourp is good. the closest thing is the people I took my Helpdesk Manager taining with for from Helpdesk Institute Worldwide, organized by pitman a year ago.

How do you like your current work as a consultant/trainer? is your expertise in hight demand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: