Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: jayneyf3
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 86
Overall: 139904

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 1
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Known Error Database / Knowledge Base
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Known Error Database / Knowledge Base

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asbalaji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Known Error Database / Knowledge Base Reply with quote

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully implemented KEDB / Knowledge Base in their organization as part of problem management process.?

If yes, could you pls explain the major steps involved in creating a successful KEDB / knowledge base..?

Thanks in advance

Balaji
alanlm143

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Hi there. There are no quick answer to your question. I have been in the ITIL organisation for 2 years now and guess what, we are still using microsoft excel as our problem knowledge database.

But soon, we will be implementing our problem knowledgebase next month. I am pretty excited about it because I am the one who developed it. I used Lotus Notes for the PM DB because of the cost issue. Well, If you are not fussy, you can try to develop a web based knowledgebase by using html.

I believe the biggest challenge for the PM DB is the content itself. If you first started it, you will find that helpdesk will hardly use it because of the information available in the DB. Also, you must create a control point for 2nd/3rd level to dump in the resolution. For example, you must ensure all problem record will generate a resolution and put on the database. If you are familiar with ITIL, not all Problem has a resolution, they might be a workround. So, you might want to include the resolution in the PM DB.

I am in a decent size company supporting client from more than 150 countries and 30,000. Still, we are still using excel spreadsheet. Again, it depends of the budget that you have. Microsoft Technet is a very good example for knowledgebase.

I hope this info helps.
taiger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

we're fortunate to have an itil tool with an intergrated knowledge-base.
in this tool you can tranfer a solution ( or workaround ) of a known
error into the knowledge base.

Incident management can use te KB-items becouse they are sorted
in the same order as the incidents ( we have a group called detection in
wich the incident en they KB-items are sorted ) in an incident with a
certain detection you can drill through to a KB-item with the same detection.

if you're making a KB in excell it could be uselfull to use the
same "detection" fields as in the incidents so you easely can
look up the desired KB-item.

regards
Frank
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note of caution (brief - I have posted on this in otyher threads).

A knowledge base and a KEDB are two distinct things - with different functions, costs, and requirements.

The KEDB is for the current 'live' errors found by problem management - once they have been corrected, the entry should be removed form the KEDB.

I.E.: A KEDB is an operational information source that provides a critical process control point between problem and change management. A Knowledge base is a much more persistant (and complex) information architecture.

A "known error" is simply the faulty CI discovered in the Incident/Probelm resolution processes.

I would like to suggest that what you are really discussing is simply a technical knowledge base.
martyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I know its a while since this topic has had a reply but I thought I wuld share what I do...

I simply have a new field in the Problem form that is a checkbox called "Known Probelm" when this gets ticked it means its a know problem and the workaround is contained in the form.
Users of the database can create views the show only problems with the "known Problem" checkbox ticked.
And when the root couase has fdixed the probelm it is closed and the checkbox automatically cleared.

works well, just have to educate the users on when and why to tick the checkbox.
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,

This is what we do for our customers, in our product, too. They seem to be more than happy simply having this identifier on their problem records.

Regards,
nr_vinod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A problem is given the "KE" tag after a RCA has been done. Once its done add the KE to the KEDB.
We are planning to implement the KEDB in this fashion. Please guide me if I am doing something wrong here.

Regards
Vinod
arnoldmram
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vinod,

A lot of service management tools in the market today, also implement KEDB the way you have mentioned - by simply giving that tag of root cause identified and RFC raised. A word of caution would be that while you upload this Known error into the Excel sheet, it will be equally important to delete it from the excel sheet once the RFC has been implemented successfully.
neopunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arnold,
As u said earlier..
Quote:
A word of caution would be that while you upload this Known error into the Excel sheet, it will be equally important to delete it from the excel sheet once the RFC has been implemented successfully.

I did not quite understand this statement. Why would I need to delete the KE from teh excel sheet. Please elaborate for me.

Cheers
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I need to delete the KE from teh excel sheet?

A KE is the known error. And when there is a known error a problem request could be raised to permanently resolve the problem if the frequency of this problem is high. Then a Change Request will be raised called as a Request for Change (RFC).
The resolution that is provided till then could be either temporary or a workaround.

If the Change Advisory Board approves the change as the change is within budget, has a significant impact on the user satisfaction, makes business sense to implement the change etc then the Change will result in the permanent fix of the problem.

When the RFC is now implemented successfully, the initial problem ceases to be a problem, and thus becomes redundant on the excel sheet and needs to be removed.

Ranjith Raghunathan
ITIL Foundation Certified
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranjithraghunathan wrote:

When the RFC is now implemented successfully, the initial problem ceases to be a problem, and thus becomes redundant on the excel sheet and needs to be removed.

This looks very theorical to me...
In reality, the original problem will be "closed" (that is quite different from deleted...) with a reason code like "change successfully implemented" .
However , it may happen that the change applied did not really solve the problem, in which case, the same problem would be re-opened: we should have a trace of all the investigations done before instead of starting from scratch again...

rgds
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the problem will be closed and not deleted.

The initial question on this post was about maintaining a KEDB and suggestions were to have an Excel sheet with the list of known errors.

I was saying that once the problem request is closed, the known error should be deleted from the excel sheet to remove redundancy of information.

Also post the RFC implementation if the incident recurrs, then the Problem team should be pushing back the earlier resolution/workaround that existed back into the excel sheet through the owner of the KEDB (in this case the excel sheet). This is because there could have been resultant change in the configuration of the IT components which may have adverse consequences if the earlier known error is prescribed to the user.

Hope I have made my idea clear, but willing to see any inputs with respect to the same.

Ranjith Raghunathan
ITIL Foundation Certified
BB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: RCA Reply with quote

nr_vinod wrote:
Hi,

A problem is given the "KE" tag after a RCA has been done. Once its done add the KE to the KEDB.
We are planning to implement the KEDB in this fashion. Please guide me if I am doing something wrong here.

Regards
Vinod

Hi Vinod
what is your RCA process. how do you and who - prioriises the RCAs. Is there a limit on the no=umber produced?

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: