Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JackiFine
New Today: 27
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 149974

People Online:
Visitors: 38
Members: 0
Total: 38

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident workaround closure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident workaround closure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpomales
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Incident workaround closure Reply with quote

Hi to all. I would like to ask a question regarding the workarounds in Incident Management. I read in ITIL's blue book that once a satisfactory solution is found in Incident Management the Incident is closed. This includes workarounds? So for example if a workaround is found for an Incident, although a Problem is created from the Incident, the Incident can be closed?

The terminology is not clear on the ITIL book, and at least I understand it so. Thanks!!
ITILsupport

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By definition a workaround is not a correction if an underlying cause of an incident. So workaround can be indentified and incident can be resolved/closed but because we still need to figure out what caused it a problem investigation should be initiated (unknown error).
jpomales
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Precisely Reply with quote

Precisely my thoughts on this. I can close the incident (at least declare it closed) so I can meet my SLA's but the underlying cause is not yet known. This means that a Problem Record must be created and worked with.
ITILsupport

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can open a problem investigation before you close an incident, you don't actually have to wait until you close an incident to open a problem.
jpomales
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Correct Reply with quote

And I agree. However, in order to measure the effectiveness of the service desk operator in closing incidents a good thing to do is to make them close all incidents including those that are resolved via a workaround.
Roopak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Root cause Reply with quote

My understanding of creating problem record is to determine the root cause of the problem so that
(1) corrective actions may be taken to prevent the recurrence of the incident
(2) proactive (as opposed to reactive) action(s) could be taken on any similar existing infrastructure in the organisation.
-
RonP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Incident closure Reply with quote

It is correct that an incident can be closed after actioning a workaround. however, I believe that if the workaround is found on the fly (for a technical issue), then before it is implemented the authority for for it should come from Problem management as you could be inadvertantly causing more incidents with the workaround. Any other thoughts
ProbMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonP - that's a tricky one to answer. In a technical environment where the Service Desk operators are highly technically literate I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to make that judgement. In a low volume environment with non-techies on the desk I'd say that at the very least the PM would need to be involved.
faznjaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Incident closed? Reply with quote

ITIL is not prescriptive about this, hence the ambiguity in the ITIL text. The idea is the the incident lifecycle is in theory complete and has moved on to a new process -- problem management. Whether or not to close the incident record depends on the needs of the organization you are working in. Where I work, for example, we have two statuses for incident, fixed and then resolved. The fixed incident is linked to the problem record (multiple incidents would be linked to the master problem ticket) once the root cause is eliminated the incident ticket is then marked status resolved. You need to evaluate the needs of the org and decide on the workflow -- ITIL is not prescriptive on these things
ITILsupport

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many organizations use Resolved and Closed - 2 different statuses showing a state of your incident/problem. If that's the case it would be wise to put the incident in Resolved state (after a workaround has been indentified), open a problem investigation and only when your root cause has been indentified and addressed the incident could move from Resolved to Closed. This could be done manually or ideally automatically since incidents should always be connected to problems, problems to known errors and KE to changes.

SLAs can be set for Open to Resolved measurements as opposed to Open to Closed. Some companies use Resolved state to facilitate a feedback from customer, for example when an incident is moved to Resolved state a HelpDesk team calls an incident submitter and asks if the resolution is OK for him/her and if they are satisfied with an outcome. Only then the incident moves to a Closed status (which could be locked for life, could not go back to Resolved).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: