Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SSalcido
New Today: 31
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139521

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Back-end Changes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back-end Changes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Back-end Changes? Reply with quote

In our organization, we implement changes either in DB (Back-end) or using an interface of the application (front-end). RFC assessment will distinguish what kind of a change is being requested.

I have a RFC, which is approved by our CAB as back-end change to update some records in the DB. Now, we have found that for the month of July, there is a very minor update to the DB, whcih can be done through front-end. Do we need to have a new RFC to make this change through front-end or can we just document in our approved back-end rfc that since there is a very minor update so for the month of july we are making this change through front-end?

This is kind of urgent.

Please reply ASAP.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the significance of the need to classify changes as Back-end or Front-end. My Oracle guys deal with DB changes all the time, we simply register them as a Change.

For me, as your CAB has already authorised the Change, the concern ought to be why they, understanding the need for your classification system, have not picked up that the change has not been classified correctly.

OK, so an error has been made - I am unforgiving, and would ask for a new RFC as the old one is incorrect.

I know it sounds like 'Rules is Rules' , but you must ensure that no watering down of the CM process is allowed. The end result (taken to extremes) could easily be that they just don't bother raising an RFC but make the change anyway.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Bakc-end Changes Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the change I am talking about is approved by our CAB as "Maintenance Service" to be run monthly.
There is a script written to update records in the DB so we have called it as "back-end".

Now, we have only 1 record that needs to be updated and we don't want to run the script as it has been identified that this can be done through front-end. It was not identified before.

So according to ITIL, do we need to create a new RFC to state that this update will be done through interface.

Also something to consider, since this is maintenance is done monthly. Just for this month, we can do through front-end as we have only one record. But if we are going to have multiple records update then we will need to run a script.

Please suggest the best option.

Thank you!
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ueuniverse,

There is no "according to ITIL" here. ITIL does not get down into such detail and leaves it up to organizations, like your own, to classify and categorize their work.

I think you may want to revisit your categorizations. The problem with Taxonomies/Ontologies is that there is never really one that fits all situations. Also, as your enterprise grows, the contents within such Taxonomies/Ontologies grows to be very large, as you will be able to apply Changes to any part of the organization. Some examples that might be useful to you include but are not limited to:

Application - API
Application - Batch Stream
Application - Build & Packaging Configuration
Application - Business Rules
Application - Content
Application - Input Data Feed
Application - Output Data Feed
Application - Data Model
Application - Deconstruction Configuration
Application - Deployment/Distribution Configuration
Application - Execution Configuration
Application - Installation Configuration
Application - Instantiation Configuration
Application - Presentation/User Interface
Application - Protocol & Communications
Application - Report
Application - Other
Facility - Command, Control, & Communications Center
Facility - Conference Room
Facility - Data Center
Facility - End User Desk Space
Facility - Training Room
Facility - Other
Infrastructure - Computing Desktops
Infrastructure - Computing Servers
Infrastructure - FAXes
Infrastructure - General Non-Computing Device
Infrastructure - Network
Infrastructure - Phone
Infrastructure - Printers
Infrastructure - Racks
Infrastructure - Routers
Infrastructure - Storage
Infrastructure - Switches
Infrastructure - Other
SW Infrastructure - Application Server
SW Infrastructure - Batch Server/Scheduler
SW Infrastructure - Business Intelligence & Reporting
SW Infrastructure - Chat
SW Infrastructure - Content Management
SW Infrastructure - Database
SW Infrastructure - Extract, Transformation, & Load
SW Infrastructure - FTP
SW Infrastructure - Portal
SW Infrastructure - Queues
SW Infrastructure - Security
SW Infrastructure - Other

The actual list can get huge. But the above holds most organizations over. I haven't even gotten into categorizations for Changes that account for other areas, such as Services and Processes.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ueuniverse,

Frank's advice is spot on, as we both have said, your problem seems to be in your categorisation of Changes.

To answer your specific question - As a Change Manager, I would want a new RFC to cover the new scenario. I am very severe when it comes to the wording of Changes. If the Change says back-end, then it does not cover front-end.

I get the impression that your 'back-end Change' is a pre-authorised Standard Change - Am I right or am I reading too much into what you are saying?

I would expect that a monthly Change that follows a set of steps that can be proceduralised, would be set up as a Standard Change, thus giving your techies as much flexibility as possible.

I would also recommend that you look at getting practitioner level Qualification for Change Management (I am assuming that you haven't already done this - aplologies if I am wrong)) - simply spending time with other people who are handling Changes everyday will give an enormous boost to your confidence.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Back-end Changes? Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you.

I think, such kinds of learning comes from experience. I'm very thankful to you guys for sharing your experiences with us.

I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: