Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ASDX
New Today: 42
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148228

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration management VS Asset management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration management VS Asset management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sach0111

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Configuration management VS Asset management Reply with quote

How do these exactly differ?? Could someone give any instance??
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Configuration Management is the process by which you manage "configurations" or how things are put together and related to one another.

Asset Management is the process by which you manage your assets, which includes things like registering your assets, updating information on them, creating relationships between them and other entities in your enterprise, understanding how they're built, etc.

Configuration Management is used to help facilitate proper Asset Management. As a matter of fact, a good portion of Asset Management can be performed right inside a good CMDB, since the CMDB must manage inventories of entities in order to associate them to each other.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
sach0111

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Frank
How ever, am not too convinced. According to the definition, assep management manages all the assets and SMDB relates the CIs, but you have mentioned that asset management also talks about the status etc. but i think that is the work of CMDB to keep record of the various statuses like ordered, sent for maintenance etc. Kindly throw some light on this.
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The interpretation that is my understanding is that configuration management is more concerned with showing the relationships between CI's or parts of your infrastructure and how they link together. Essentially showing the impact upstream and downstream of either a change or a system failure.

Assest management is more concerned with the financial cost of an item through out its lifecycle within your organization. The primary difference is within asset management it does not track the relationships of the items and focuses on the $$.

Now it may be possible to have both in one system but in my experiences and discussions with other companies in this area i have not yet come across an organization that combines both areas and does primarily keep them seperate. It does cause a quandry though when trying to explain to the business side the difference between the two and the need for funding to have both seperated out. I'll check through my collection of white papers and see if i can find one that may help define things out a bit more for you.
Thanks

Adam

Edit - Sach - If you can either post or message me your email address i've found a white paper which details out the differences between the two.
sach0111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the white paper Adam
Take care
pmougis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

Adam mentioned he has not seen an organization which combined Asset and CMDB databases into one. A little over a year ago I took a pretty comprehensive and robust Asset Database and adapted it to include fields which allowed the asset to be defined as a CI. When an asset was defined as a CI.. there were some automated controls put in place (spcifically... a Tower Owner Group had to be selected, and all updates to the asset REQUIRED a comment describing what was changed).

I won't go into great detail on the two definitions frequently used when describing a Configuration Item.. However, a CI can be the overall entity being referenced (such as a specific UNIX Server).. but also a CI could be a specific "critical" attribute of the entity being referenced (such as the IP Address for the same UNIX Server). My approach to configuration management procedures surrounding changes to the production environment and update to the CMDB was to require an update of the CMDB whenever a CI (the detailed critical attribute CI) was changing.. not every time a CI (the high level entity) such as a server was referenced in a change (such has having to bounce a server to resolve an application issue).

In my case the Asset Database was able to accommodate it's asset management role (tracking equipment, software licenses, etc) and also to accommodate the details and controls needed by a CMDB..
Mat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
this is my first time join with a company, and i have no idea with configuration management.
I want to know how to build a cmdb and an examples of configuration item. Question

and Adam whould you share your white papers collection?thanks a lot. Very Happy
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure can. My email is in my profile. Just flag something in the subject line that'll grab my attention so it doesn't get filtered out as spam Razz
CarlMattocks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asset Management is quite different from Configuration Management. Auditors are very interested in any Asset information that is used to produce financial reports... auditors are not so interested in the life cycle of CIs. However, in a best practice sense, any Asset that is used in the IT infrastructure is usually treated as a CI. Since, for the majority of its life, it is very valuable to the organization.
CEO CHECKMi
vmail (usa) 908 322 8715
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: