Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Nugoaldotcom
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 145987

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 2
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Tools - advices and recommandation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tools - advices and recommandation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
godefroydlb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Tools - advices and recommandation Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a tool to support a service desk. It will include Incident, problem, change and configuration management.
I would like to know if any of you have recommandations or advices concerning existing tool, I have identify BMC Remedy, HPSD and CA unicenter at the moment.

Do they have particularities or specific funtions, methods, standards that distiguinsh one tool from another ?

What are the good questions to ask yourself to choose a tool ?

Many parameters can be interesting like :
Possibilities to integrate
Difficulties to build a solution, maintain, upgrade, evolve
Perimeter
Scalability

Thank you for your time

--
Godefroy
djohnson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tools - advices and recommandation Reply with quote

Godefroy,

Warning: I work for a service desk vendor, which is something that ethically, I should make you aware of while considering my comments herein. However, I have spent the last 8 years in this space (I suddenly feel old Wink ), so I will make an earnest attempt to provide you with the best unbiased advice I can, based on my experience.

The vendors you mention all offer very capable products for ITIL service support. The challenge you face will be to, as objectively as possible, match the needs of your organization to the product that best meets the need. Yeah, I know that sounds obvious, but almost everyone misses it in the heat of politics and debates over tools and such. In my humble opinion, the most important step you can take is to consider carefully the kinds of issues that your service desk most commonly deals with, and evaluate the tools based on their ability to most readily deal with those kinds of issues.

For example, if you are a heavy mainframe shop, some vendors' integration with mainframe management tools may be compelling to you. If you primarily deal with desktop and Windows/Linux server issues, then a vendor who has good integration with systems management, software delivery, recovery and remediation tools may be more useful to you. the main thing is that you really would be well served to consider how the people on the service desk work, and the kinds of problems they are routinely asked to solve.

All tools will have some CMDB capabilities built in. In some cases, you will have to maintain an integration to the CMDB with the service desk, in others you will have to maintain an integration between the CMDB and a discovery component, while still others have it all rolled into one system with no configuration or integration required.

In general, the vendors you mentioned are stong performers in the larger enterprise space, and have good offerings for mid sized customers as well. With all of them, you would be well advised to attend comprehensive training on the specific product, and avail yourself of professional services to help you get through at least the first phase.

Some general recommendations:
1.) Study each product carefully. Ask for an evaluation and use their resources to help you get an evaluation system up and running.
2.) Work with other teams directly impacted by the service desk, and ask them what their most crucial needs are. Listen.
3.) Communicate. I can't stress this enough. Every group or individual who is directly affected must be kept regularly informed on the status of the evaluation process, followed by the implementation process.
4.) Consider a phased approach. Do not try to "boil the ocean" on the first go-around.
5.) Identify the most pressing needs and "quick-wins" you can capture, and address as many of those as you can in the first phase, while keeping within the bounds of ITIL processes. Are people suffering from poor performance of the old system now? Make sure that is soundly addressed by the new product. You will have immediate mind share from people by solving their most acute pains.
6.) Know how you will measure success before you implement. Will it be a reduction in resolution time? A rise in end user satisfaction? Identify what performance indicators are most critical, and manage the project to make sure those are addressed.

I can probably think of much more. I want to be careful here not to make a specific vendor recommendation or attempt to comment on their specific strengths and weaknesses. We all have them. Wink

Kind Regards,
Dave

godefroydlb wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a tool to support a service desk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: