Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DHenslowe
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 104
Overall: 143938

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 2
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident priority
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident priority

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Incident priority Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have just taken up post as ICT Support Manager for a large NHS Division in Scotland & im tasked with, amongst other stuff, creating a single service desk for the healthcare area taking in 2 major acute hospital sites, 50 + GP practices & health centres and a few other related places.

I have the ITIL foundation certificate which I gained a few years ago but have never really been able to put what I learned into practice up until now!

I was a bit rusty but I have picked up the books again & its got me thinking about loads of things so I am looking for some feedback on my ideas and here is the first.

This is my go at Incident priority. As part of the project, I plan to meet the heads of depts, business managers & users base to get feedback & listen to what they have to say.

Highest Priority

1. Healthcare, Infrastructure, Data & Security
2. Business or User Critical
3. Business or User Standard
4, Service Request
5. Planning

Lowest Priority

I have started to define the 5 priorities in more detail

Thanks

Aynsley
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aynsley,

It seems your doing just the right thing. As I always say: "paper has patience". With that I mean that no ITIL book will give you a definitive perspective on how to deal with your priorities. These differ per organisation and should be determined in close contact with the business. And that is exactly what you are planning to do as you said in your note.

Personally, I would rewrite the terms you use to more general names, for instance:
Prio Urgent - High - Normal - Low - None. Yet this is merely cosmetic and a matter of taste. It might come in a bit handy when you hire external staff (more recognizable). The definition behind these terms would/could still be the one you already have.

Hope this helps, sounds like you are doing the right thing by listening to the business.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS On second thought, I think you'd have to elaborate on your definition. Does "healthcare" always imply that a patient is in danger? Is it also possible that a less important medical administration tool would be seen as "healthcare"? If that is the case, a healthcare-disruption might not always have the highest priority.

ITIL states that you should determine priority by multiplying impact x urgency. Impact: how many people are bothered by the disruption; Urgency: how quick should it be solved. Maybe you can rewrite your priority by thinking about impact and urgency first.

The following example is far more general than yours, yet is (I think) more bus. oriented whilst your own is more tech/system oriented. For instance:
Impact: (from big to small)
Medical (=exception: could be only 1 person, yet it this is a patient whose health is endangered, it would still have a big impact)
Businesswide
Departmentwide
Individual

Urgency:
High: danger to health of patient(s) and/or possible negative press-attention
Normal: disturbs regular process, yet no danger to patients health.
Low: mainly used for questions as opposed to disruptions etc.

Hope this helps
Aynsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Im re-thinking some stuff after your last post. Watch this space for plan B I see where you are coming from.

Aynsley
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aynsley,

How about your plan B? Cool
ChipPanFat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: categories? Reply with quote

I would take the following as categorisations:

Healthcare
Infrastructure
Data & Security
Planning

Then base the priority on this:

Business or User Critical
Business or User Standard

and have a default priority based upon the category, for example, the category Healthcare would give the default priority Critical but with the flexibility to change it on certain exceptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: