Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JMiltenbe
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 145966

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 0
Total: 61

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Request Management and Change Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request Management and Change Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snows

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Request Management and Change Management Reply with quote

Hi,
Could somebody tell me what is the primary roles and responsibilites of request management?
Is request management part of change management? Shocked

Snows
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snows

I am struggling to understand what you mean by Request Management.

Are you talking about Infrastructure Requests e.g. Can I have Project 2000, I need a login to xyz system, I need a new laptop etc.all of which should, in my opinion, feed into the Service Desk to be routed to the appropriate resolver. Or something else entirely different.

Can you give us some examples of what you mean please?

Regards

Ed
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Snows,

If I'm understanding your question properly, Request Management is actually a subset of "Service Management". Not ITIL Service Management which means running IT like an accountable company but more like the ITIL Service Catalog, which allows you to invoke a Service by creating a Service Request from a Service that is listed in the catalog.

In typical Service Management (or what I believe you're calling Request Management), a user goes to the Service Catalog, looks up a Request they want to invoke and invokes that Service. The invokation results in a Service Request that needs to be managed by the Service Group accountable for the work. This can also be done by calling the Service Desk and asking them to invoke a Service. In this latter case, the Service Desk would create the Service Request ticket or entry. After a Service Request ticket/entry is created, it is then managed to completion by the accountable Service Group.

Depending on the a number of variables such as the complexity and the amount of work related to invoking a specific Service, some Services will yield Service Requests that can be executed with little or no approval, such as the reseting of a password. However, many Service Requests will lead to significant work and, in some cases, significant Change. If the Service Request leads to a significant Change that must go through the Change Management Process or, at very least, be recorded for the Change Management Process, then the Service Group that is accountable for performing the work will help drive one or more Requests for Change (RFCs).

So, ultimately, Service Request Management is the process of managing a Service Request through its lifecycle (a subset of Service Management), while Change Management is the process of managing a Change through its lifecycle.

Service Request Management may invoke the Change Management process, if necessary. It's also possible that, as the result of a Request for Change, a Service Request can be invoked to help with the Change. They are two independent processes that can help each other.

I hope this helps you understand the differences. Please let me know if I've addressed your question properly and if you have any other questions.

Regards,
jeffendy
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Guerino1. The Request Management will manage (from request to fulfillment) the goods and services requested by users based on the catalog provided. Standardized goods and services can be made available to the end users through self-service interface or by calling the Service Desk. When handling the request the Request Management will also refer to the SLA.
Ry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen an indepth view to ITIL version 3 where Service Requests are now a function of 'Request Management' all on its own that ties to the 'Change Management' process (In version 2, Service Requests were a part of the 'Incident Mangement' life cycle)? If so, how have you implemented this in your orgs?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ry wrote:
Has anyone seen an indepth view to ITIL version 3 where Service Requests are now a function of 'Request Management' all on its own that ties to the 'Change Management' process (In version 2, Service Requests were a part of the 'Incident Mangement' life cycle)? If so, how have you implemented this in your orgs?

Hello Ry,

Actually, I haven't seen ITIL v3 so I don't know if what you're telling me is exactly what they're doing. I'll have to take your word for it.

If ITIL has finally broken out SRs as a separate discipline, then I have to congratulate them for correcting a long standing error.

As far as how this is implemented, we implement a Service Catalog, that has a list of all Services, from which a Requestor can invoke a Service Request that gets routed directly to a Service Group, who performs the work and manages the collaboration with the Requestor, until the work is completed to the Requestor's satisfaction and the Service Request ticket is closed.

Users simply go to our web interface and pick whether they want to enter a Service Request, an Incident, a Problem, etc.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: