Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MarkusPvn
New Today: 42
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 149822

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 2
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Position Rating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Position Rating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmurphy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: ITIL Position Rating Reply with quote

I have the oppportunity to change my direction and become a problem manager. I do enjoy the incident and escalation management function I have been performing.

Wondered if anyone out there has an indication on the position level between Incident manager and problem manager?
Gav
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what context?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: ITIL position rating Reply with quote

Incident Management goal to restore normal service as quick as possible creates the need for the problem management analyst position. In my company we have implemented PM with one manager and four analysts.

On a daily basis they are seeking out root cause of outages and managing large incidents through a emergency response procedure that mimics the ITSCM manager's approach but to a lesser scale.

Hope this helps

shmurphy wrote:
I have the oppportunity to change my direction and become a problem manager. I do enjoy the incident and escalation management function I have been performing.

Wondered if anyone out there has an indication on the position level between Incident manager and problem manager?
Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Problem Management often (though the function is sometime performed by Availability Management staff) conducts Major Incident reviews a Problem Analyst would be considered a Senior Incident Analyst at a minimum. Traditional diagnostic skills would need be supported by specific training and knowledge in root cause analysis, Kepner-Tregoe and other investigative approaches. Additionally, since the exercise would often involve coordinating changes through Change Management and making decision with regard to resource allocation the position would likely involve some management functions and delegations of authority.

I think there may be a parrallel between Problem Management staff and Customer Relationship Teams, though each has their respective sphere of interest. CRM staff are usually at or approaching an intermediate management level in the organization for which a next logical step would be an IT Management role. PM staff might be one level below that.
drambui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Incident Manager gets hazard pay because she is directly in the fire. Typically, however, the Incident Manager is working with skill individuals which are reactive and calm under fire.

The Problem Manager is more of a strategic role and spends a greater portion of time interacting with the Customer ( end user ) and the rest of IT. As a result the Problem Manager tends to be more deliberative and an excellent communicator, time and people manager.

Which of these skills is better rewarded is a cultural issue. Some Companies reward action oriented people more than People and process oriented people.

Only you know the case for your company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: