Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: C1905
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 142295

People Online:
Visitors: 78
Members: 0
Total: 78

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Escalation to 2nd level
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Escalation to 2nd level

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfhard
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Escalation to 2nd level Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

if the 1st level helpdesk is not able to solve an Incident (no known workaround, not a known error, unsuccessfull trouble shooting, ..) and needs to escalate the incident to 2nd level support, does it then become a Problem automatically?

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring
Leif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Escalation to 2nd level Reply with quote

wolfhard wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

if the 1st level helpdesk is not able to solve an Incident (no known workaround, not a known error, unsuccessfull trouble shooting, ..) and needs to escalate the incident to 2nd level support, does it then become a Problem automatically?

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring

Hi,

No, it would still be an incident. However, if Servicedesk finds several incidents of the same type (e.g. your incident) Problem management would pick this up and issue a Problem record. Also, if the incident is of major impact to the IT infrastructure, a Problem record could be issued in order to find the root cause of the incident.

Your example incident could be escalated through both second and third line (and more) support without a Problem record being issued.

Regards,

Leif
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Difference between Service Desk and Incident management Reply with quote

Hi

I fully agree with Leif, I only want to remark about this issue that there is a difference between Service Desk and Incident management, some times this issues tracked and recorded by Service Desk are called "calls" while only those issues escalated to Incident Management are called "incidents" and afterwards as Leif explained could be raised a problem or not for problem management.

From my point of view:

Level 0 or 1 --- Service Desk
Level 2 ------- Incident Management
Level 3 ------- Problem Management

Hope it helps

Javier
ITIL-Consultant
Madrid-Spain
javier.arcal@gmail.com
wolfhard
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Service Desk <--> Incident Management Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.

My situation is as follows:

1st level (Support Technician with us):
* handles all incoming calls (technical as well as informational)

2nd level (Resource Technician with us):
* handles all imcoming calls (technical aswell as informational)
* assist 1st level
* manage knowledge base
* customer liason
* escalate unresolved calls/incidents to 2nd level (at client site, not with us)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd level (at client site not with us, different country):
* call back initial caller to resolve incident/call (not solved by 1st and 2nd level above)
* manage object/update distribution via mainframe
* liason with 3rd level support

3rd level (at client site not with us, different country):
* on-site support if necessary
* server/mainframe/DB administration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th level (same company as client but on different continent)
* development
* root cause analysis

As you can see it is quite difficult to get everybody together Smile
Because MantisBT is a web application and allows for different user levels (admin, user) and opening and closing of 'problems' it seems to be well suited, or not?

Even a nod into the right direction will be greatly appreciated Wink Thanks once again.

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring
wolfhard
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Incident --> Problem Reply with quote

Is it sufficient to look at incidents that occur frequently and incidents that have a sizeable impact on the IT environment for submittance to problem management?

Who does the actual submitting ? A first-level technician?

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring
wolfhard
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Incident->Problem->Error Reply with quote

Does this sound right?

1.) Incident submitted to Problem Management to find possible root cause and find quick-fix (work-around) or possible resolution.

2.) Quick-fix (work-around) is sent back to incident management to resolve reoccuring incidents quicker.

3.) Resolution is submitted to Change Management to permanently remove the root cause and prevent occurence of any further incidents.

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Work Around solutions Reply with quote

Hi Wolfhard,

It is a very good approach,

I only want to add that "work-around" solutions should not be "sent back" to Incident Management, should be stored in your knowledge data base, and of course this data base should be visible from Incident Management and Problem Management teams.

I really agree with you about the possibility of Incident Management people to open Problems, may be Incident Mangement manager should review all problems that have been arised by Incident management team, before passing this problems to problem management team for a more carefull investigation.

Best Regards
Javier
--
ITIL Consultant
Madrid Spain
email: javier.arcal@gmail.com
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Incident --> Problem Reply with quote

wolfhard wrote:
Is it sufficient to look at incidents that occur frequently and incidents that have a sizeable impact on the IT environment for submittance to problem management?

Who does the actual submitting ? A first-level technician?

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring

Oh, my interest is piqued! Are you in the process of defining the problem management role in your organization? I have found that depending on Incident volume & available manpower, it makes sense to select a sample set of incidents to follow through Problem Mgmt. Choosing your sample set could be based on frequency or impact as you suggest, if that makes sense to your organization. Other criteria might be - who is the client, or where do you see the best chance of actually getting resources to do the investigation required for Problem Mgmt? A defined sample set that is defensible provides some consistency over time for metrics. (why defensible? Because I have run into the 'why are you picking on me' stonewall, and have to prove unbiased objectivity). Here, I am able to view & select all the incidents in the current sample sets in our Incident reporting tool (Clarify) so incidents are not 'submitted' to me per se.
I am interested in understanding more of what you are trying to accomplish Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Service Desk <--> Incident Management Reply with quote

wolfhard wrote:
Thanks for all the help.

My situation is as follows:

1st level (Support Technician with us):
* handles all incoming calls (technical as well as informational)

2nd level (Resource Technician with us):
* handles all imcoming calls (technical aswell as informational)
* assist 1st level
* manage knowledge base
* customer liason
* escalate unresolved calls/incidents to 2nd level (at client site, not with us)

2nd level (at client site not with us, different country):
* call back initial caller to resolve incident/call (not solved by 1st and 2nd level above)
* manage object/update distribution via mainframe
* liason with 3rd level support

3rd level (at client site not with us, different country):
* on-site support if necessary
* server/mainframe/DB administration

4th level (same company as client but on different continent)
* development
* root cause analysis

As you can see it is quite difficult to get everybody together Smile
Because MantisBT is a web application and allows for different user levels (admin, user) and opening and closing of 'problems' it seems to be well suited, or not?

Even a nod into the right direction will be greatly appreciated Wink Thanks once again.

Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring

(1) Thanks Javier for confirming. I thought of a situation where all first level technicians can submit incidents to 'problem management/ manager' on their own accord.

(2) The in-house problem management will look at the incidents and try to find a solution or else escalate to second level (external customer).

(3) Maybe it is also possible to provide a reward to those technicians who submitted an incident(s) for investigation and a 'solution' has been added to the knowledge base by problem management.

eisbergsk, I have 'quoted' a previous post of mine into this response where you can see what our setup is.
I want to implement a Problem Management process that starts with an outsourced first-level service desk (that's us) and continues to technical support/ develpment teams at the customer's site.

Any comments or suggestions are always highly valued.
Kind regards
Wolfhard
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Wolfhard. Your plan sounds good. The only wrinkle I can think of revolves around the gap between defining a process - and having people actually follow it! Possibly my employer has jaded my optimism. Let us know how things evolve.
Best regards,
/Sharon
wolfhard
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: HDFS - HelpDeskFieldService Peoplesoft Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Does anybody have any experience with HDFS - HelpDeskFieldService by Peoplesoft with regards to Problem Management?

How many people would you need to do Problem Management when supporting 4-5 business critical applications, if you have about 800 Incidents per day with 30 incidents needing to be escalated to second level support per day?

Thanks a million.
Kind regards
Wolfhard Aring
RP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HDFS - HelpDeskFieldService Peoplesoft Reply with quote

Quote:
How many people would you need to do Problem Management when supporting 4-5 business critical applications, if you have about 800 Incidents per day with 30 incidents needing to be escalated to second level support per day?

That is 160 incidents each application. Can you pls tell how big is the user base for these applications (put together if there isn't a big difference)?
Globis
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not necessarially. For example, a user cannot use an application and calls in an incident. SD cannot fix it so they call 2nd level support for the application, who determine that it seems to be a network problem, but cannot pinpoint where as the WAN is outsourced. They in turn call 3rd level support (the supplier) who tell them there is a temorpary fault on a line that will be resolved within the hour. The user is informed and one hour later the service is resumed and the incident is closed - user satisfaction verified!

So you have escalated all the way up the support ladder, but no problem record is required as the incident is considered a one-off.

However, the same outage now reoccurs at the same time every day, at which point the Service Manager will be screaming at the supplier for a root cause analysis - and this is definitely a problem record.

As for who can raise problems? Well that's up to you, but it seems logical to me that as the 1st/2nd/3rd level support staff are the frontline they should be able to raise problems. You should define some guidelines and examples for them particularly emphasising the difference between an incident and a problem. Training is key.

Also the Service manager will want to be able to raise problems, he will certainly demand RCA's even in the case of a one-off incident such as the example above.

Finally the problem management group itself should be able to identify problems from periodic reviews of the incident records. Note that problem records may also be generated automatically from software scanning the incident records or other management systems.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: