Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FOPQJ
New Today: 71
New Yesterday: 88
Overall: 139972

People Online:
Visitors: 74
Members: 1
Total: 75 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who should take responsibility of comms for an outage?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who should take responsibility of comms for an outage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should take responsibility of comms for an outage?
External IT Supports' (my) Change Management Team
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Clients' Change Management Team
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Not so clear cut - EXPLAIN WHY
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

MrDon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Who should take responsibility of comms for an outage? Reply with quote

Brief -
I am taking responsibility in setting up a definate Change Management team in the company I am in and I need assistance in clarifying a grey area with my client. The company I work for is an IT solutions company.

What I need to know is when a server outage is scheduled, who should take responsibility for getting an outage message to the affected userbase? The helpdesk (my company) or the client (as afterall, its their employees who are affected - we are only doing the change).

All help is much appreciated. Thanks.

The Don.
Wink
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if they are willing to pay for it as an extra service, your company can do this. If not, simply state that you will inform one party at the clients' (at their pick, for instance an information officer (might be too operational), client's helpdesk etc.).
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello MrDon,

An effective solution that we encounter regularly is that Service Delivery acts as the comm group to end-users. Change Management coordinates and communicates Changes to the SD teams and the SD teams control communications out to their impacted end-user communities. This is usually because they know best as to whether or not any specific changes will impact the Product(s) and/or Service(s) they support and because they are typically in constant communications with their independent business users/clients. To ensure consistent and controlled communications, many enterprises "only" allow the SD teams to have operational communications out to such end-user communities. This helps to avoid miscommunications and conflicting information.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrDon

I also work for a Solutions Provider, and we interact with our Customers' Change Systems in the following ways.

1) In the situation, that we are need to take down a customer's server, or one of our servers that they have rented space on, we provide the detail to our customer's FSoC via their Change Manager, which they then publish to their affected users, and also give their approval/disapproval for the action.

2) If their support teams are taking down one of their servers then they provide us with the detail, which we put into our FSoC and publish to our affected users.

We share all Change Details with our Customers Change Teams and they with us. So I as Change Manager get to see details of ALL their Changes, and they get to see all of the Changes we do on their behalf.

If our customer does not have a Change Management System, then things become a little more difficult. in this situation we ask for a designated person to act as an information recipient (for the life of the contract) that we can feed this type of info into. This person then publishes the detail to their affected groups. The approval/disapproval situation applies here also as you would expect, but they tend not to be as interested in seeing ALL the changes, but are more selective.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
MrDon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied - you have helped.

But as one post said - if they are willing to pay for the service, then we should supply it. This is something I will have to take up with the boss. It seems it is a very grey area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: