Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ACantu
New Today: 46
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142341

People Online:
Visitors: 76
Members: 6
Total: 82 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Management Process Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Management Process Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Change Management Process Problems Reply with quote

Hi there...

I'm in the same situation " Implementing Change Management" as one of our fellow posted earlier in the thread.

In my organization, I have two challenges to deal with:

1) We had a senior person who implemented change management process in our office. Due to her personality clash with rest of the colloeagues, she didn't receive any co-operation but she implemented this process forcefully. The good thing was that she had senior management support. She even introduced Rational ClearQuest tool to be used to automate change control process.

2) Second challenge is that I was assisting her with this process and later acted as change coordinator. With these ongoing problems, she quit her job and moved on to something else. Since it was only two of us working on this process, I was put in her shoes and now facing a lot of retaliation from other people in the office.

ME alone is against senior software developers team. I have accepted that there are some flaws in the process that we can improve but those people are not clear in this process so suggesting all those kinds of suggestions which would facilitate their development work rather than this process.
To me, it seems that I have to start from point 0.
I am currently working on the documents now and trying best to understand this ClearQuest tool as well.

I know there are a lot of people in this forum with many # of years of experience.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you,
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ueuniverse,

It seems to me that your issue is not with ITIL nor with tooling. These are merely symptoms of a negative past (or so it is experienced). You clearly state that you want / need to get people within your organisation to cooperate. Working on documents and tooling will not help (a lot) to get you and your colleagues nearer to each other.

Might I suggest you take a look (via google) at John P Kotter's 8 steps for succesfull (organisational) change. Kotter (from Harvard) defined 8 steps that you have to go through to succesfully implement any change. If you miss any of them, you will not succeed.

Go through all the steps, write down what you have already done to fill them in, and what you still could do. Use Kotter's step to define a patch which brings the seemingly opposing points of proces and development together, as they should and could be one. you should understand that a proces which is not accepted, only exists on paper. They should understand that you can have a valuable contribution to improving their work.

Also, why is it that you do not have an assistant as your predecessor had? Does management support you as your predecessor was supported? Why (not)?

Hope this helps,

Michiel
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, m_croon. You are right about bad past experience and I will definately supplement my efforts to keep team focused on this process as valuable to our work.

But another side to this is due to lack of proper implementation. People were not taught as to how this process works and how it should be taken as. As i mentioned before, they are all software developers, therefore, they are confusing the concept of service support / delivery activities with development activities.

Thats why I felt the need to revise the documents (which just talks about the process policy) but doesn't outline procedures as how to do do all this.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not read your post good enough.

Quote:
As i mentioned before, they are all software developers, therefore, they are confusing the concept of service support / delivery activities with development activities.

Without more knwoledge of your organisation, i find it hard to advice you on the road to take re. ITIL/Change. Are you familiar with ASL (Application Service Library). This has elements from ITIL, yet is actually a best practice for application management (incl. development). Maybe this is a possibility to bridge the gap between you and the dev. team.

Try w3 dot aslfoundation dot org. The site is in Dutch but you can choose the English language.

Regards,

Michiel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: