Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EHoad
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 53
Overall: 145931

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 2
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Beginning and assorted confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginning and assorted confusion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wireed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Beginning and assorted confusion Reply with quote

We're headed down the itl road like it or not. Boss seems to think ITIL will be the aswer to all issues. Every thing can ge resolved with process. He's read the itl mini books and believes he has all the answers. Laughing

So the question begins A) where $%%^%^# does one start , we have a service desk (small headcount) B) under ITIL do all the tickets have to be owned by the service desk and and they control every aspect or is there some guide that provides a template. If we have to control and own each and every ticket, we better hire a lot more staff, any given day I have over 80+ tickets open and we can't control if they get done. so it's a continuing cycle of trying to get updates, closure info etc.

I have read the ITSFM book and don't see any clear statement that this is mandatory. I would think I could handle off to support and when resolved they would close rather then sending back to me to close???

Help

Tom
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

You seem to be at the very beginning and I don't want to hammer you down with a long list of things, but here are a few tips you can choose to use, or not:

1. Acquire the Introduction to ITIL book for a starter. It's small and it's an easy read. It's ISBN: 0-11-330973-2. It's longer than the small OGC pocket guides and you will find wealth of info in there.

2. Schedule some training in ITIL Foundations. Nothing that I know will help you more than a few days in a room with an ITIL trainer and other guys like you trying to figure it out. Check out HPs website under education and ITSM.

3. Yes every incident must be recorded and the Service Desk "owns" it, which means it is ultimately responsible for finding a solution within agreed timeframe.

I hope it helps.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning and assorted confusion Reply with quote

wireed wrote:

I have read the ITSFM book and don't see any clear statement that this is mandatory.

Hi Tom,

This remark might just be the most important of your post! ITIL is not about mandatory things. It is a best practice "method" that you ought to use were it comes in handy. This means that instead of looking at the book, and trying to find "what's mandatory", you should tell your boss to look at your company first: what is the problem were ITIL might provide a solution. Does it have to do with / can it be solved by improving call owning / monitoring? Or might your problems lay somewhere else?

General advice: start low key, start with some quick wins. Practical and short term improvements. Can you start up a small weekly report on calls opened/closed and calls still open per department/group? Can you improve your tooling?
wireed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the response Reply with quote

First , I have no quarrel with ITIL, just the cocept theis is the all knowing answer. Been thru Deming, TQM (Total quality management) SIX Sigma and others ,while useful tools, they are just that TOOLS. If you can't get cooperation /assistance from others it's futile. Every one points at the service desk to do it all and other then first level toubleshooting, ticketing and follow up, it's beyond our scope.

Yes we can improve, categories, status type resolution codes could help to a degree. But if the end user client/ responsible party doesn't find the need to resolve in a timely fash, I'm back in my cycle of looking for updates over and over and ITIL won't solve that.

Reports are done, show the increase volume but it has fallen on deaf hears so far, ITIL won't solve that one

Thanks for you input, I'll pick up the other book today .

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: