Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Helen1854
New Today: 49
New Yesterday: 81
Overall: 143468

People Online:
Visitors: 99
Members: 0
Total: 99

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - BMC Service Desk Express
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMC Service Desk Express

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catalysttx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: BMC Service Desk Express Reply with quote

Would anyone care to share any feedback about BMC Service Desk Express? I have not seen a demo of it yet, or laid hands on the software, but I've heard that it is a bit light on the configuration mgmt side, being more asset oriented instead.

TIA,
Lyn
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not seen it.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
blamblam
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked extensively with Service Desk applications, developing and implementing them over the last 12 years. I've used SDE and I don't like it. SDE is marketed as being "ITIL compliant" which is a horrible term in itself but there are definitely some applications which adhere to the ITIL framework better than SDE.

There is some weird stuff in SDE... you cannot link an Incident to a Change for one! The interface is very clicky... no consistency between single clicks and double-clicks and forget it if you like using the keyboard. It is Asset focussed and doesn't really do Configuration Management, even though the tag for the module says so. And it's an extremely buggy application... well, the latest release is (9.0 I think). It's strange because early versions of the product (when it was Magic) were very good. My suspicion is that in the drive to claim ITIL compliancy, they've lost the focus on what used to be a very solid application.

That said, the application is aimed at the SME market and not intended for large organisations, i.e. you can't compare it to applications like Remedy (also BMC), CA Unicenter or Peregrine. However, in the same market are applications like HEAT, Infraweb and Marval. All of these I consider better than SDE.

But, as always, you have to make the assessment based on your Service Desk requirements, the size of your organisation and, of course, your budget.

Hope this helps.
AJRBARBER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add a few comments both in support of SDE and support of blamblam:

Personally, I think it is an awesome product that has a huge potential. The trick with it is that you need (again my opinion) a qualified SDE admin who knows what they are doing to get the best out of the tool.

For example OOTB blamblam is absolutely right - you cant link incidents to changes. However, a very simply configuration and you can. I personally have never had an issue with the consistency of mouse clicks but I would have to agree that the first release of SDE (unpatched) was horrendously buggy. A good number of those have now been fixed but not all.

blamblam's comments re configuration management I think are fair. The asset management/configuration management side of the product requires alot of work on the administrators part to make it work the way you would expect. BMC have just released an Integration tool that will improve this.

Can't comment re other Service Desk applications but if you want more info from genuine users rather than BMC goto http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/magicsolutions/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: