Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HOdom
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139738

People Online:
Visitors: 72
Members: 2
Total: 74 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - DNS Changes as Change Mgmt?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNS Changes as Change Mgmt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekneek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: DNS Changes as Change Mgmt? Reply with quote

Hi all,

There is a debate in our company regarding if DNS changes should be a function of Change Mgmt. I'm curious about your feeling in this regard. Is there an "official" ITIL stance regarding DNS changes and Change Control?

Thanks,
Tek
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "official ITIL" position on specific DNS changes as far as I know.

I understand that you are discussing it and that there must therefore be some people for and against submitting DNS changes to your overall Change process.

I would personally see it as a change as you are altering a part of the Configuration. However, that does not mean that a CAB needs to be convened every time a change needs to be applied. You could very well draw the boundaries of a Standard Change for that. As long as the standard change is documented, that the procedure is controlled, measured and followed, there is no reason to believe it wouldn't work properly.

But also, you can try that and see if it works. If you see that you are getting incidents that you can trace back to those changes, then re-assess and try something a little different.

For instance, you could also consider that it may be a specific change for which you only want a CAB composed of 2-3 people cherry picked and that they will only meet on an ad hoc basis. Define the procedure in a Change Model. That will make it a bit more formal, but not as formal as other changes.

The keys are control, controlled release, information update in the CMDB, no-fault, repeatability, metrics, external verification for independence.

You can get those things in a million different ways... I'm just giving you a few ideas.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNS changes if they screw up can not only screw up your own company but others as well.

SO they need to be managed and controlled - in an appropriate manner.

So if the DNS change fits in the corporate definition of a change request that does not require a CAB - Standard and Normal ITIL - then use then otherwise come up with a way to manage them

ALSO: BE advised that one of my DNS gurus says tha any DNS change once done takes about 24 hours to propogate through the entire internet.
I say this because some people demand DNS changes within 1/2 of making the request. And then complain when the change has not had time to propogate

Locally the DNS change is usually immediate.. but think outside your own AS and it takes times.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tekneek,

In most enterprises, DNS changes are definitively under Change Control, as it changes a critical operational configurations that drive how your enterprise work. Ask yourself this: "If I change a DNS entry, can something break in production?" The answer is, "yes". The primary purpose of Change Control is to coordinate the types of Changes that can impact your Production environment.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a Data Center, and in our case we do consider DNS modifications as changes. Nevertheless the RFC is evaluated and accepted only by the Change Manager (the Operations Manager).

Cheers,
Z!
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do these as a Standard Change - i.e.we know the risks, the process can be put into a procedure (set of steps to implement), and this allows the techies to make changes where needed without impacting the service unduly (done Out Of Hours).

Regards

Ed
panjwar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

We consider DNS as chagne too.

Minsitry of Governemtn servcies
Toronto
Change Coordinator

Riyaz
pmannion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complicate things:

- new DNS entries are considered standard changes and are not routed through CM/RM.
- modification & removal of DNS entries are subject to RFC and CAB review as they imply impact to systems which have not been cleanly updated to reflect the new names.

That being said, we are very slow about removals for fear of impact...
GregWallace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: open source tool to automate BIND changing and tracking Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if any of you use NetDirector (www.netdirector.org) - it's essentially an open source CCM tool. It has role-based access control to enforce segregation of duties and it has an embedded database that keeps track of all changes - what was done, who did it, etc.

Limitations are it only works with Linux and Solaris. It has service modules for Apache, BIND, Samba, Email, FTP, LDAP, Kerberos and a few more services as well.

It's completely free and open source and available for download from sourceforge.

I'd love to hear if it's useful to people on this forum.

Greg
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

In our organization DNS changes Add/Remove/Delete have been determined to be standard changes. We have documented the set procedures for performing the necessary steps along with communications that take place ahead of time for those application owners that may be impacted by a change to the DNS. Also and the most important is the rollback(remediation) steps in the event that an issue does arise is apart of each request along with the time it would take to replicate across the organization for service restoration. A review is performed after each implementation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: