Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LPalladin
New Today: 7
New Yesterday: 50
Overall: 146270

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 2
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Looking to advance my career
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to advance my career

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie66

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Looking to advance my career Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been working as a Configuration Technician for the past five years, and I am looking to advance my career. I have looked at ITIL certification, as I am noticing more employers are asking for it, as a way to limit the number resumes they get. I took a look at a few places that offer training and I find the costs quite prohibitive - $2500 CDN. My company is not willing to send me out. Anyone have any suggestions for training at home, or other more reasonably priced options?

Thanks
winz
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Newbie,

ITIL is used to imlpement the best pratices of service management. And it ultimately depends on the kind of exposure you have to this area.

Since you already have been working as a config tech... It would be easy for you to understand the working / the functionality / the way people work in this field. And if you have any budget issues then the best solution that I can give is to buy a really good book... "planning to imlpement ITSM" is really nice - from my perspective, to start off. And then you can read or go through the ITIL Community forums .

Also, if you can lay hand on the questionnaires of the previous ITIL exams then nothing like it.

Read a lot, Understand, practice and if you have even the smallest of doubt please ASK and clear it out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
winz
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pdf that is useful if you are planning to go for the foundation, just let me know your email address and I'll gladely pass it over. Looking at your current type of job, it will not be difficult for you to pass the Foundation.

As for the Service Manager, I will also suggest using the official books from OGC. I didn't sit for my Service Manager exam yet, I will do it early November, so I cannot say anything about the complexity of thre exam and the studying requirements to pass it.

Cheers,
Z!
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I would argue that there is a lot of value in participating in classes leading to your Foundation certification, I understand that the cost can be prohibitive to take on your own. The good thing is: you can take the exam without classes for Foundations. It is not the case for the other levels though.

For me, access to past exam is what does it. Being able to understand the way exams are conducted is half the battle really.

Here is what I would do:

1) Get and study out of the "Introduction to ITIL" book. There is one mistake in the book related to the different Service Desk types, but that's easily corrected.

Here is a link to get that book:
amazon.com/dp/0113309732?tag=galistudio-20&camp=15309&creative=331469&linkCode=st1&creativeASIN=0113309732&adid=0EX60XPJYCY5BFVZR1NP&
(I hope you don't mind me using my Amazon afiliate code)

2) There is an EXIN Exam book available here:
shop.exin.nl/Products/book.asp?BookID=32005012

I don't know what it is worth but it's only 8 Euros.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP Website says CAD $1,450 for its ITIL Foundation Training and certification.

There are few e learning courses available as well, quint group offers some.

But to be very honest nothing would match up to the 3 day training which you can take up.

You can not only expand your network with others who participate in the training but the trainers usually have wonderful industry experience and they can provide you a great insight.

On top of that you can sit for your foundation certification at the end of the training.

Good luck!

Vimzie!!
Glob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All-
I have kind of the same situation, working 8 years as SCM/CM/RM.
Recently I noticed number of good CM/SCM opportunities which require ITIL certification.
Would you recommend taking a course or just a book and try to pass foundation exam?
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: