Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: J1102
New Today: 65
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142360

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 0
Total: 54

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL anaylsis project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL anaylsis project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianharrison2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: ITIL anaylsis project Reply with quote

Hi,

As part of my Dissertation I am doing an analysis of ITIL, in particular Service Level agreements.
I have found many articles and books that praise the ITIL approach, but I am having difficulty finding anyone who criticises it.

For my project I need to look at both sides of the argument, and not just assume that ITIL is a positive thing.

My question is does anyone know of any articles, journals or websites that criticises the teachings of ITIL?

I will be grateful for any help anyone here can give me.

Kind Regards
Ian Harrison

P.S - On a side note if anyone feels they could help me getting hold of actual SLA documents, could you drop me an email (Ianharrison70@hotmail.com) as I need to compare several SLA documents as part of my project.
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ian,

It's quite difficult to critisize ITIL because it doesn't impose anything. All the things taught within ITIL are guidelines that organizations are free to follow as they are, tweek and follow, or disregard.

Another fact that makes it difficult to critisize ITIL is that it is not meant for all organizations. It is there for organizations that are having problems with their operations and the quality of their services deliverables.

So it's not for everyone, it's not mandatory, it doesn't impose anything, it is flexible, etc... I think these characteristics satisfy anyone. no?

Cheers,
Z!
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not so easy to criticise ITIL itself as it is to criticise IMPLEMENTATIONS of ITIL. The common things are people seeing ITIL as a panacea for all their problems which it isn't. Trying to implement it all as though it were mandatory instead of selecting the bits that are appropriate to their organisation and points of pain.

There is a blog I read awhile back that presents some negative arguments regarding ITIL. Have a search through google for the IT skeptic.

As for SLA examples, again just google and you'll find lots of them (some better than others!). On the negative side of SLAs, again it's more about how they are implemented rather than them being a bad thing. If for example committments are made regarding service delivery in terms of targets, then these need to be realistic and ways to measure these need to be in place - as well as being monitored. Otherwise it's setting people up to fail.

Good luck with the dissertation.
Ianharrison2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the skeptics blog a go.
I read some criticisms on Wiki, but unfortunately the uni don't see it as an academic source.
I think I could use the blog, as it's clear to everyone that it's someones opinion, so there can be no confusion as with wiki.

Thanks again

Ian
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick correction

The blog is itil skeptic, and if you look at the itil people forum, he/she posts on there, complete with links.

I would also take issue with Ziad's statement that ITIL is only for people/companies that are in trouble with their processes.

As ITIL is based on best practice, I cannot see how anyone would fail to benefit from following it.

I do agree with Itilimp, it's the implementation that gets dodgy, rather than the process itself.

Regards

Ed
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed,
I honestly cannot argue with you on your comment because it differs from a person to another and because you may be much more experienced than I am and answering from a solid practical background.

But the way I think is to leave everything running and delevering the expected as is. In other words, if my processes are working fine and the output is satisfactory, I would not go and modify them following ITIL guidelines or anything else.

Thanks,
Z!
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ziad

fair point - if it's not broke don't fix it, but I just wanted to make the point that you do not have to be in a mess to get benefit from ITIL.

p.s. Just for the record - lots of practical experience - I started in 1973

Regards

Ed
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Hi Ziad

fair point - if it's not broke don't fix it, but I just wanted to make the point that you do not have to be in a mess to get benefit from ITIL.

p.s. Just for the record - lots of practical experience - I started in 1973

Regards

Ed
I feel the need for a new emoticon, one with a grey beard. Razz
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

There is an another way to approach your thesis. Identify few companies which have or is implementing ITIL.

Instead of just going about critizing ITIL, You can rather focus on the issues with implementing ITIL, If your area of interest is SLM then By actually speaking to Service Level Managers, Consultants you can identfiy the room for improvement.

And good luck with your dissertation. Share your finiding with this forum if you can..

Cheers!!

Vimzie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: