Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: E40Y
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139301

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 2
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How do I choose the right traning provider?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I choose the right traning provider?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QUICKLEARNER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: How do I choose the right traning provider? Reply with quote

Hi - I am looking for advice.

I passed my foundation exam some 11 months ago, and after a bit of a battle my company has agreed to fund my Mgr course training.

What I would like to know is how do I go about chosing a good training provider for the Mgr course? There seem to be so many training providers out there, and they all claim to be good...but how do you know?

I tried to start my investigation by trying to find out what the pass rates were for these training providers...but ISEB will not tell me.

I really do want to get this right, as it seems to me that you need to give yourself every possible advantage with this course! So, does anybody out there have any ideas as to how I find a good Mgr course training provider?

Oh - I am based in the UK
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an important question. Obviously the quality of the trainers is important (there are2 trainers per course - ideally the same 2). So many training companies use freelancers like me, that the same trainer can work for lots of organisations. so a good one will give that training company a good image, whereas a poor one....

So - ask about the following :
Is it residential ? (expensive, but a good option, allows more time and concentration)
How many mock exam questions are done? ARe they all marked with feedback? IMHO a course should have 1 exam question a day, and ideally, a full 3 hour mock at the end. That way, mistakes in how to answer the questions are ironed out early.
training providers know their own pass rates and should be happy to tell you.
Cheapest is seldom best.
Once you have that info, ask anyone else you know about good companies - Afiniti, Fox, Aquip, Grey Matters, Parity etc are all good.
handyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be forgetting to add Purple Griffon on to your list of 'good' providers. Very Happy Liz.

Tips:
Don't be tempted to go for a 'boot camp' approach. To get the best out of this course takes a 3 month commitment. Do you Service Support course and then take time to read through the book as you will need to know this inside out. We provide mentoring following the course and will mark as much material as you can physically write. (practice handwriting exams is highly recommended). Repeat this Service delivery. Next up is your revision day. Ideally this will involve a look at the exam case study and sitting a mock exam based on it, the course tutor will go through the case study explaining the possible questions that can be taken and ways with which to approach them.

Whilst I agree with Liz that cheapest is seldom the best I do have a place left on our next course that I can let you have at a good price Very Happy

Mark Lunn
Purple Griffon
Loboc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All advise given above is good, but take a look at ITSM Academy as a good provider as well.

One contrary indicator though, forget the location (other then travel considerations). I did my Service Manager in Ft. Lauderdale and didn't see the beach until after taking the tests!

Good luck with your decision.
ITIL Service Manager
ITIL Foundations Trainer
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was suggesting UK-based companies, as they are the ones I know. Sorry about missing off Purple Griffon - although I have not worked for them or know anyone who has taen their training, they do have a good name.

I only wish someone would ask me to give a course in Fort Lauderdale - it would beat rainy Britain!

Picking up the point of cheapness - if cost is an issue and you are flexible, asking for discount for late booking is always worth a try Very Happy
itiltrainer
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above points and good and valid - so I will try to add and not repeat.

So in addition to the above I would suggest you check that:

1. The revision day actually involves a run through of the case study you will be using in the exam. I give this advice because some of the larger training organisations provide only a 'generic' revision day which does not actually involve an analysis of the case study (which is essential) - so check this!

2. Previous pass rates - the training provider should not be shy about providing these - but beware - the really valuable information from your perspective is not the company pass rates - it is the pass rate for the trainer(s) running your course! So, ask who the trainer(s) assigned to your course actually is and find out what their pass rates / experience actually is.

3. My own pet interest! Make sure the senior trainer on your course has a Distinction. After all, how is somebody going to teach you to achieve a distinction level pass if they do not have one themselves!

4. General advice. Follow the advice of Liz Gallacher and do a residential course - numerous benefits - and....be prepared to work...and I do mean work, on your own time. The advice I always give to my students on day 1 of their course is that if they really want to pass (and pass well) from this point onwards until they sit the exam they are going to have to average approx 1-1.5 hours of work per day (in addition to the formal classwork sessions). It is not enough to simply sit in a classroom - you have to go away and read and THINK. You not only need to know the contents of the Blue and Red book, but you must be able to understand and interpret the points being made (and to show this to the examiner), and comprehend how to potentially implement in a number of scenarios.

The value of a good trainer is that they will make you aware of what you need to do, rather than simply try and do it for you!

Oh - and Fort Lauderdale sounds a lot better than Leeds or Manchester!

Best of luck
Zarney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: good provider Reply with quote

Fox IT used to be ultracomp who were the company who did a lot of work with the ISEB on ITIL.

I know quite a few people who have used them and they seem ok , I did my foundation with them and found it fairly good. They so several around the UK if you can stay at the hotel they are running it at its worth it for the networking etc. as the instructors stay at the same place and eat with the students.

also wouldnt advise doing the 2 weeks back to back either leave a couple in between to get some study in and no overload the grey matter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: