Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LBristol
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 144719

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 1
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Am I Fit for ITIL Foundation Cert. or does it add value 2me?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I Fit for ITIL Foundation Cert. or does it add value 2me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myid100

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Am I Fit for ITIL Foundation Cert. or does it add value 2me? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Today I joined in this forum & intend to take ITIL Foundation Course+Certification.

But some thing asking me whether it is really useful for me ...

Abt myself
1) Working as Unix/Solaris administration.. Offical title: Senior systems engineer (Actual title project lead )

2) Having 6+ years experience in Unix domain (perferably Sun Solaris + Linux)

3) Already holding Sun certification for Networking , Security and system admin

4) Working in a banking domain which following the chg. mgmt, release mgmt & problem mgmt.

Question:
======
Being a sys. admin i'm i fit for ITIL or is it really needed for me ?
does it add value to me?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
recognition etc etc)

If I decided to go ,is the course really necessay or by using books + mock test i can clear the exam.

Since im pretty new to this ITIL , I appreciate you share your opinions and place your suggestions/recommendation.
I like to hear from you soon.

Regards
Prasath
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prasath

Are you going to be a UNIX Engineer - hands on - forever ?

Are you / your role / your department affected by ITIL ? YES

So having an understanding of what ITIL is and the terminology related to it is nice to have for the technical types.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
vitalitil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, I would say that having the ITIL foundation certificate will most definitely come in handy for you at some point; especially if you want to move up the job ladder, where you will start to encounter ITIL jargon a lot more frequently. Even in your current role you will find that the ITIL philosophy will become increasingly pervasive.

The exam is passable without attending a course, but if you can get your company to pay for it, then why not? A lot of the questions are designed to be tricky, so a little coaching by a qualified trainer will definitely pay off.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm not touting ITIL foundation courses.
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in your position, you would benefit from understanding key concepts such as cross-functional processes or how Change Mgt increases the reliability of your environment.

Everybody could live without ITIL. I think the question is: do you want it? Because if you do, you have a lot to gain in terms of how you can turn this newly acquired knowledge into direct benefits for your organization.

The interaction in a classroom setting is interesting because you get to network with other people who are the same level in this. The combination of experiences makes for interesting discussions. But if you get a book like the "Introduction to ITIL", I believe you could pass the test.

my three cents (2 + 1 due to inflation)

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
myid100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Am I Fit for ITIL Foundation Cert. or does it add value 2me? Reply with quote

Hi John,Vita,BR

Thanks for your suggestion/feedback.

As John mentioned im not going to be unix admin forever , definitely will climb to project management and taking efforts towards that direction. Though im using the terms coming in ITIL, initally i understand ITIL Foundation is more towards for developers only. Just to check with you guys is there any website will explain the members and the role in the job. Just to get more familiarize.

Thanks again !!!
Regards
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL is for management of IT services. It is a tool set of process and concepts to help the managerially challenged (grin) and the technologically challenged (giggle) talk to each other.

If you are planning to deal with IT from an operational point of view, ITIL will help you.

If you are planning to do Project Management, PRINCE2 is the way to go.

Having both ITIL and PRINCE2 certification means you have more useful knowledge to your employer - current / future

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Zarney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukviking has said explained it in easy words... perfik

also 2nd ITIL and Prince 2 highly desirable at the moment,

When you have done the foundation you will have a good grasp of what ITIL is all about.

you can go on to do the practitioner training in an area you find you are interested in there are several different routes you can go within SS and SD. depends on what interests you
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I Fit for ITIL Foundation Cert. or does it add value Reply with quote

myid100 wrote:
... initally i understand ITIL Foundation is more towards for developers only.

This is not a correct understanding. ITIL focuses on keeping IT systems up and running and all the processes, tools, and jobs/roles involved in that; far less on development (that would be ASL or Application Services Library, ITIL's "younger brother"). So as a system administrator, you are definitely part of the main focus of ITIL.
7thPillar
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruffling some feathers while being thoroughly politically incorrect for this forum.

As a Member of PMI since the Late 1980's, I've witnessed an organization develop an outstanding knowledge base that can be embraced by the Project Management Communities, only to devolve into a quasi Trade Union by marketing the PMP as a certificate of Project Management excellence. My experience and opinions on this matter transfer to many certifications in general.

The facts are:
1. Certifications acknowledge a set minimum level of competancy, therefore they only assure that the certificate holder is minimally competant.
2. Like Trade Unions, certifications are intended to provide a competitive edge to the certifying body and the certificate holders - especially when competing against those with actual practical experience and accomplishment.
3. Certifications are of most value to those with little or no practical professional experience in the field, as they represent a foundation on which to build skills and experiences.
4. The perceived value of any/all certifications is dminishing
-- as reported in Baseline December 2007, issue 067:
Quote:
"... certification isn't what it used to be. According to a survey by Foote Partners, the average value of certified skills as part of an IT worker's pay package dropped by 1.2% over the past year, while the same skills sans sheepskin rose in worth by 7% in the same period..."
"Says David Foote, the research firm's chief executeve, 'Certifications are becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of the IT world.'

"I don't get no respect!" ~ Sir Rodney

What I have witnessed and been a participant in over the last 15-20 years is the evolution in perceived value. When Executive Management and Upper Management is relatively ignorant of a skillset, or unable to discern ability from bluff, they seek certifications to guide them. As these same groups become more competent themselves, they often discount the value of certifications. We've all known a person with a cube filled with certificates that cannot seem to manage a trip to the cafeteria without mishap. Many of us have met literally hundreds of Certified _____________s (fill in the blank) who have never in their lives actually managed, developed, etc. the discipline they are "certified" in.

While I am not attempting to dissuade anyone from seeking certifications, please perceive them for what they are, and don't forget that it is the application of your knowledge that truly counts, especially beyond the interview.

Alex Zayachkov
ITIL Process Engineer
maxandre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: what ITIL foundation cert does to you Reply with quote

I would measure the benefit in 2 ways.

Personal

On the personal front, when you pass the exam you have an external authority certifying your knowledge on the subject which is what most empoyers look for. You start feeling good about yourself, it shows on your work as interest and enthusiasm.

Professional

Call me an ITIL evangelist, but it does alter the way you think about the services you support. You stop looking at your responsiblities as independant but as a part of a whole framework that has to work together. It enables you to open your eyes and see the whole picture .Even If you are just a junior engineer at a service desk, you see yourself as the basis of analysis that leads to improvement in the service provisioning of your enitre organisation. (not just the guy who picks calls at the help desk)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: