Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WOWDinnavy
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146223

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How to write ITIL-based policies?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to write ITIL-based policies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnetra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: How to write ITIL-based policies? Reply with quote

My company has assigned me to write ITIL-based policies. I have no prior ITIL background. I have been given ITIL Service Support book and ITIL Service Delivery book, and asked to develop policies based on ITIL. I am asked to cover all areas of IT operations which include: Service Desk, Networking, Database, Data Centre and Communications. There is an existing IT Operations Policy through which I could understand something about these areas.

I could relate Service Desk directly with the Service Desk chapter in Service Support book. But, for other areas mentioned above I am finding it difficult on how to proceed and write the policies covering these areas. Can I expect through this forum an idea on how to proceed and how to complete my assignment?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: ITIL Based Policies Reply with quote

I have a couple of comments

First - is management giving you this so that it would fail immediately ?

While the books are a source of knowledge for ITIL, you should get the company to pay for at least the foundation course where you can interact with others in the same level of knowledge.

The Manager's or the various Practioners course - Service Desk etc would also be a benefit.

ITIL is merely Best Practice on how things should done.

You can have processes, procedures and the like w/o every learning ITIL and these processes and procedures could be 'ITIL Complient'. Great GHU I had that phrase.

Put the books down.

Ask yourself these questions

Is the IT process procedures escalations and responsibilities and requirement clearly defined ?
Is this documented ?
Does the staff who are doing this know that
Does the users who are affected know this
What is used to determine whether the processes procedures etc are working ?

Do the business have a Business Unit that functions as a Service Desk or Help Desk
Is there only one point of contact (the Business Unit) for the customers/users ?
How does information flow from the users to the providers of the service and versa vice.
Is there external suppliers, vendors, etc involved in providing services to the customers/users.

Before you crack the books open, you need this information. The books will only show 'Philosophy' about ITIL. It does not provide Insert tab A into Slot B sort of data. That requirements experience, knowledge and that is only from people

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with John. I'd like to add one thing: WHY!

Why does your management think it is necessary to implement "ITIL based policies"? What problems exist in your organisation that your management hopes / thinks to solve with ITIL?

If you 'just' develop ITIL based policies without looking at the need for it, you will likely turn ITIL into a goal instead of the means / the 'tool' that it is.

It is vital to the sucess of your job that your management explains the urgency why they feel it necesary to implement ITIL. And they should not only explain it to you, but if you write anything like a project plan, the first and continuous 'deliverable' that you ought to describe is a weekly or at least monthly communication session where your management (and not you) should explain to the entire organisation why it is necesary for this project to succeed, and what will be solved by carying it out.

Good luck, keep us posted about your progres.

Michiel
bnetra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my initial posting on this subject about three months back, I made a good progress on the project of developing ITIL-based policy document for my company's IT Operations department covering various sections under it. Policies covering areas Service Desk, Database Administration, Network Management, Data Center Management have been completed. The feedback received is positive.

Though ITIL does not specify any standards in these areas, my effort was directed towards applying ITIL processes like Availability Management and IT Services Continuity Management processes and highlight gaps in our existing processes and what is needed to implement ITIL. Many gaps have been identified in each area but mainly setting up a CMDB, Availability Plan and measuring Availability are our top areas of action.

Will post the progress in future.

Thanks.
bnetra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Status Update Reply with quote

Further to my earlier posting I would like to update current status.
1) Completed developing a policy document covering all sections of IT Dept.
2) Identified Gaps and plan to close same.
3) Developed ITIL Implementation Plan. Approval awaited.
4) Roll-out will start with Incident and Problem Management. Total project plan 46 weeks (including setting up CMDB).
I willing to share my experiences with anyone interested. Please email to bnetra@hotmail.com.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: