Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RBland
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 86
Overall: 139279

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 0
Total: 62

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Tangible, Measurable Benefits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tangible, Measurable Benefits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjsharpperry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Tangible, Measurable Benefits Reply with quote

Can anyone share benefits of implementing ITIL process - real benefits that have been delivered?
Conexio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many examples of success in the UK, australia, and Canada.

not sure how many exist in the US.
The rule of thumb is a 10-15% budgetary cost savings once implemented.

Example - if you have 15 people on the service desk, and role out the Service Support processes, you should be able to reallocate 2 of those people to other areas, focusing more on business - It alignment instead of being reactive.

Same within other departments.

[Editors note: Promotional text edited out]
PSMC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will list some of the benefits in no particular order:

Financial savings
1. Allocating the right numbers of staff to a particular task
2. Elimination of duplicate efforts
3. Infrastructure management (example: actually knowing your capacity)
4. Accountability (everybody knows their roles and responsibilities)
5. Performance measurement
6. Consistency in service delivery
7. Time, money, and resources are used efficiently (avoiding the waste of time, human resources, effort)
8 Uniformity in service delivery
9. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (brings more customers)

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of IT in the companies shows that is necessary to set up better procedures to IT service management. Well, you can think it is clear, but unfortunately it's not. The IT Management is historically done by a technical staff, and there is a gap between technical envisioning (background) and management.

So, I think this (ITIL and/or other policies) is the future’s reference for IT managers and very soon the improvements will be more clear.

Some times I think about TCO, for example, and what I see is a very high cost raised for a low organized and standardized procedures. (The IT Staff is still contingency the problems).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would concentrate on the costs of not doing it!!
More downtime - more service incidents - less time spent doing productive work. The list goes on - you cant manage what you cant measure and if you dont have ITIL i doubt you have any service measurement of any depth.
The mi that comes out of the itil PROCESSES IS INVALUBLE.
aGREE?
Jean-François

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tangible, Measurable Benefits Reply with quote

kjsharpperry wrote:
Can anyone share benefits of implementing ITIL process - real benefits that have been delivered?

===============

I'm not sure to well understand all comments (my english speaking is poor) but I think that real benefits are not demonstrate.

Many times (and I believe that) we listen that benefits are present. But when we search real facts, we can't find it. Benefits are based on rules of thumbs or studies realized by large firm (GE, GARTNER, IDC). But do these results can be apply to all size of organization..? I'm not sure....

In facts, does someone have seen a structured approach to compute effective benefits (difference between "before" and "after" ITIL implementation). I work on that and if someone knows an approach like this, please send me an email...

Jean-François Sauvage
V-P aux échanges
itSMF, section de Québec
conseiller.ntic@sympatico.ca
blamblam
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the earlier poster who suggested concentrating on the costs of not doing it.

I recently was involved with a business who were reluctant to invest in a new Service Management tool as they had outsourced their Service Desk but still expected the outsourcer to use the businesses key technical personnel throughout the organisation. It became apparent that a centralised database for management of Incidents, Problems and RFCs was critical to the Service Management model they were insisting on, and that the database should be owned by the business. There was tacit agreement in principal but no data to project tangible benefits. The solution was to project the cost to the organisation of not doing anything - focussing on cost avoidance, lost prductivity from not have end-to-end visibility of issues and the ability to manage demarcation points.
Bullitt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefits of ITIL aren't always as brilliant as some would have you believe. Implemented fully, with the right amount of tools, would for some smaller companies mean an outlay in costs and in extra resources out of proportion to the benefits they could gain. For bigger organisations who are struggling to provide the right level of service the ITIL framework is an excellent model on which to base how they should be doing things. But there is no one-size fits all management method of doing IT support and management. It's still worth knowing the ITIL principles, if only so you can adapt them to a specific environment, but I can't help but feel that for some companies they would be better off implementing a systems management solution that already has ITIL processes built in (eg The HP Openview Suite or Indicative's Service Director - both of these enforce some ITIL processes and add extra value in terms of measuring your services and providing extra proactive support capabilities - Indicative in particular are excellent..) rather than just relying on ITIL training and process awareness.

ITIL is primarily about good practice and sense. If you are duplicating work and fixing the same things over and over again, did you really need ITIL to tell you to identify and fix the underlying issue? The same with Change - anyone involved in IT should know change will bring risk. If you are in IT management and need ITIL training to tell you that then perhaps you shouldn't be in IT management.

The real problem is the quality of most managers and workers today. In a number of companies, a small number of individuals are responsible for performing the majority of key work and there are few managers who have the key skills needed to manage processes and people effectively. That's a legacy of IT growing out of a techie environment and often being seen as a cost drain. The IT industry as a whole needs to mature and realise it isn't an island anymore.

There are good people out there, both with and without ITIL skills, and both of those sorts of people can add a huge amount of value to an organisation.

I did an ITIL course several years ago with one of the Dutch authors of the HP ITSM software (a help desk package.) It was very straightforward and intuitive - but it was replicating all the things I was already implementing. Sometimes it used different terms and phrases to describe them - but there was nothing shocking or revolutionary in it.

One of the best things I ever did to introduce improvements, was to implement a service manager specifically for desktop support in a large 3000 user environment. At the time there were something like 10 desktop engineers available throughout the day and 2 overnight, as well as some specifically concentrating on NT account administration in a Wintel environment. I put that service manager in to distribute calls for second line support. Before that, engineers would pick which jobs they wanted to do out of the support queue even with priorities and impacts flagged to them. Consequently they chose the easy mundane repetitive fixes because their statistics would look good in that it would be better to fix 10 small things rather than one complicated or awkward problem.
Having someone with a business sense distribute their work revolutionised that process and improved the reputation of IT throughout that company.
The point I am making is you can have processes, and you can have staff, but by themselves they may not add many benefits. Good people, working effectively, do. Learn more about ITIL by all means, it will never be a waste of time, but remember to use your own brain and logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: